*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/340338-2005---MS-WORSENS
by J.T.
Rated: E · Book · Inspirational · #959045
One man's struggles with MS and Weight Loss - and how he is overcoming them.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#340338 added April 10, 2005 at 1:13pm
Restrictions: None
2005 - MS WORSENS
JANUARY, 2005

I did not have any doctor’s appointments during the month of January, but I had an acute attack of shortness of breath, and called to make an emergency appointment. My doctor did not give me any bad news, but I could tell from her actions and the way she spoke to me that she felt I was going to get much worse very quickly. She increased the dosage of my medications and added a pain medication to try and alleviate the pain and discomfort. That helped some, but not nearly enough.



FEBRUARY, 2005

The month of February arrived, and I was still feeling terrible, but I had sort of grown accustomed to it, and my wife and I had an opportunity to take a trip to Lake Tahoe. It was a deal too good to pass up, as the entire trip (including round trip airfare from Tennessee) was less than $400. I had always wanted to visit that area. Having been a big fan of the television show “Bonanza” as a child, I loved the scenery I saw and had made the comment years ago that I wanted to visit that area just once “before I died.” I admit, I am a fan of the Twilight Zone, and it seemed no small coincidence that I received such an offer to visit Nevada at this time. Translated – I saw this as my chance to visit the area before my death – which might be soon. Although I had that in the back of my mind, I didn’t dwell on it. I was excited about the trip and the break from work and worry, and I was actually looking forward to something for the first time in months.

My wife, Debbie, and I left for Lake Tahoe on Wednesday, February 9, 2004. When we arrived, it was every bit as gorgeous as I imagined it would be. I was very happy. That first night we stayed out kind of late and did a bit of sightseeing, but we didn’t overdo it at all – or so I thought.

Thursday came and we did more sightseeing, but it was non-exertive. Sure - I felt bad, but I was having a good time. I booked a bus tour that would take me through Carson City, Virginia City, Genoa, Reno and Lake Tahoe for Friday, and was excited about that. Debbie and I made plans to go to a local Steak and Seafood restaurant for dinner that evening, and all was well. But something happened that afternoon that would alter those plans.

In the space of an hour, I became more fatigued and short of breath than I had ever been, and I was barely able to make it back to our motel room before collapsing. I couldn’t even talk! I fell into the bed and stayed there until the next morning – no dinner, no sightseeing, nothing. At that point in my life, if I missed a meal it could be assumed that I was deathly ill, and I was that night. I remember thinking that I would die, that death would come for me soon, blah blah blah – having a real pity party for myself as I lay there on the bed. Lucky for me, I recuperated enough during the night that I was able to go on the tour I had booked the next morning.

To make a long story somewhat shorter, I enjoyed the tour, but I was so worn out that I don’t remember too much of what I saw. The next day we returned to Tennessee, and I was ready to try to relax. On the trip home, I started telling myself that I had to do something. I told myself that while I could help that I had MS, I could help what I did about it. I could fight it instead of allowing it to control me. I made up in my mind to talk to my doctor at my next appointment (the following Monday) about things I could try to do that might make my life better.


TO BE CONTINUED

© Copyright 2005 J.T. (UN: volsfan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
J.T. has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/340338-2005---MS-WORSENS