*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/349395-Growing-Into-a-Cowboy
Rated: E · Book · Biographical · #973799
My lessons with Flossie, a roan Standardbred mare
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#349395 added May 25, 2005 at 4:46pm
Restrictions: None
Growing Into a Cowboy
I remember Roy Rogers in books and on TV. I remember him for his horse, Trigger, his guitar and his singing and his handsome good looks. i envied the man, mostly, because he was a man, and, more importantly, because he was a cowboy who wore cowboy boots and cowboy clothes.

First and foremost I had always wanted to be a man who was a cowboy. I also envied Roy Rogers because he rode a horse and played the guitar; two main loves I carried in my heart as a child through every waking hour and through most of my active dreams. Roy was the epitome of life to me for all these reasons and since I could not be a man, I aspired to be everything else the man was; a cowboy, a horseback rider, and a guitarist.

Is it any wonder my life has taken the road it has since childhood? Of course I have never been famous for my riding and strumming although I did have deep desires to become an actress one day. Kristy McNichol took over my dreams at one point living my life via her role as Buddy Lawrence (Leticia) on a popular TV show, "Family". Buddy was everything I wanted to be; outspoken, witty, charming, capable, and full of "withinality". If there had ever been a part for me to play on TV, hers was the one.

As a child I emulated Tommy Retig, Bobby Diamond, Johnny Crawford, any boy who showed the characteristics and personality that Buddy portrayed years later. Where were the female Ken McLaughlins and Butch Patricks, Bill Mumys and Bobby Buntrocks when I was still in school and so impressionable? In the kitchen wearing dresses, barefoot and pregnant, of course.

© Copyright 2005 Pony Tale (UN: ponita at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pony Tale has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/349395-Growing-Into-a-Cowboy