*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/395930-Black-Eyed-Peas
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #562186
Each snowflake, like each human being is unique.
#395930 added January 1, 2006 at 11:03am
Restrictions: None
Black-Eyed Peas
Every year on January 1 my Grandma Newland would make Black-Eyed Peas. She made them on that day because it was supposed to be good luck to have Black-Eyed Peas on New Year's Day. While I no longer celebrate January 1 as New Year's Day, I do eat Black-Eyed Peas in memory of my Grandma. My Grandmother either made them from scratch or opened a can.

When she made Black-Eyed Peas from scratch she always got the dry peas several days before. Then on New Year's Eve she would put the dry peas to soak. The next day she put the peas on to cook. When she cooked the peas this way she always seasoned the peas with either bacon or pigs feet and add salt and pepper to taste.

Today I am having Black-Eyed Peas, but I am opening a can. I am opening a can because I did not get the dry peas a week ago. When you go into a store on December 31 you can not find the dry Black-Eyed Peas, you are lucky to find them in the can or frozen. I went to the store yesterday, so I had to be satisfied with the cans.

© Copyright 2006 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/395930-Black-Eyed-Peas