*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/431002-Strange-mind-patterns
by Wren
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1096245
Just play: don't look at your hands!
#431002 added June 5, 2006 at 11:16am
Restrictions: None
Strange mind patterns
Fifteen years or so ago, when I was hospitalized for an extensive blood clot in my entire leg that wouldn't resolve, my daughter brought me a Game Boy to play Tetris. Stuck in bed for two weeks, I played lots of that old addictive game. When I'd close my eyes, I could still see bars and L's and T's floating down. With my eyes open, I'd see them filling spaces between fenceposts and doorjambs. It was a strange phenomenon.

I'm having a similar problem after working hard to write poetry. I'm thinking in iambic pentameter. When I read, I make the sentences read that way too. I even talk that way if I'm not careful. Anybody else ever have that problem?

***

Today was Pentecost Sunday, and even in the pouring rain all the red flags were out. Almost everyone wore red. Pretty impressive to look out at the congregation and see all that red. Considering the weather, we had quite a turnout, and we joked that maybe we should have other special dress-up days. Do you think more people would come to church if we had Hawaian shirt day? Or Dress As Your Favorite Saint?

My husband Bill joked that it was a special holiday for airplane owners: Plenty Cost. Guess that could be said of homeowners and boat owners and RV owners and golfers and skiers, etc. The Holy Spirit laughed along with him, I imagine, but then nudged me to point out that it is the holy day celebrating God's sending of the Spirit to be an advocate for us. I'm glad we don't call it the Holy Ghost much any more. The spirit, or wind, or breath of God sounds better to me. The Counselor, the Comforter, the Sustainer--those are all names for the Holy Spirit.

LOL This wasn't my Sunday to preach; what am I doing!

© Copyright 2006 Wren (UN: oldcactuswren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wren has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/431002-Strange-mind-patterns