*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/461102-Chapter-56
Rated: GC · Book · Action/Adventure · #1167223
A Navy SEAL, crippled by wounds, is given a chance to be whole again … but at what price?
#461102 added October 14, 2006 at 11:34pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 56
CHAPTER 56

MONDAY, OCTOBER 31, 2005
1230 EST


The Pentagon was at its highest state of alert, with armed troops guarding every sensitive area and patrolling the corridors. Before any were armed, Amanda first checked them with the Forerunner scanner to ensure they had no sleeper programming. If they did, the optical device was used to remove it; all of the Joint Chiefs and their staff had already been cleaned of any programming.

Unfortunately, the scanner could not detect those whose programming had already been active for more than a few months, like Lieutenant Stewart. Her scan showed nothing abnormal, since the programming had been active long enough to totally replace her original personality.

“She was a fine officer,” Admiral Moeller said. “Is there nothing that can be done?”

Amanda shook her head sadly. “There’s very little chance we can restore her. If they have a scan recorded of her original personality matrix, the GMU in Nevada could restore it, but it’s very unlikely they even made one. The best we could do is construct a matrix to approximate the person she once was. The human mind is very complex; who can say what is truly in the mind of another, even someone we think we know.”

“We’ll do all we can for her when this is over,” Hammerstein said. “For now, she is an enemy agent; totally committed to their cause.”

“Just like Susan is now,” Amanda said.

“We don’t know that,” Hammerstein told her, but he did not really believe his own words.

Admiral Moeller’s phone buzzed. He picked up the receiver and listened for a moment, then hung up the phone and turned to Hammerstein, his face grim.

“The Bonhomme Richard was on its way to the Persian Gulf to relieve Boxer, but she is now returning to San Diego at full steam,” Moeller said. “As soon as she is in range, the 15th MEU will disembark and relieve your SEALs in Nevada. They will secure the area for the remainder of this crisis.”

“What about the President?” Hammerstein asked.

“The President’s programming was activated, apparently by a member of his Secret Service detail,” Moeller said. “There was an exchange of gunfire between members of the President’s protective detail, and the Marine detail sent to secure him. There were casualties on both sides, but no fatalities and the President is unharmed. He has been detained and, under Section Four of the Twenty-Fifth Amendment, declared unfit to fulfill the duties of the office. Fortunately, we were able to secure the members of the cabinet and the Vice President before their guardians could trigger their programming. The Vice President is now Acting President. What we need to know is, are they making their move?”

Amanda shook her head. “They would have activated all of their sleepers at once. The agent likely had programming similar to your aide’s, which caused him to act when it appeared the President was going to be alerted. As long as they are unaware that we have the President secured, we have time.”

“They’ll know soon,” Moeller said. “The President was at his ranch. The press heard the gunfire. They were told it was a demonstration, but that won’t hold water long.”

“How long before the 15th can deploy?” Hammerstein asked.

“At least twelve hours,” Moeller said. “Your SEALs are on their own until then.”

Amanda looked at her watch; it had been almost six hours since Melissa had been taken. By now she was certainly deep within the lab. Amanda felt certain they would not harm Melissa; not until Brandi was there to see it and know the price of disobedience.

“All we can do is wait,” she said.

*****

At Amanda’s estate, Brandi lifted the phone in the parlor on the second ring. She listened as the voice on the other end spoke.

“You know what we want,” Evan Mitchell’s voice said. “Be at the lab by midnight local time. Come alone and unarmed and don’t be late; at one minute after, I give your girlfriend to the boys here.”

“That’s less than fourteen hours away,” Brandi said. “How do you expect me to get there that fast?”

“You’ve got connections, use them,” Mitchell said. “Just make sure you’re alone. We see on sign of your SEAL buddies and your girlfriend will pay the price.”

“I’ll be there,” Brandi said. “If you hurt her, I will kill every last one of you.”

“I’m looking forward to seeing you again,” Mitchell said. “We are going to have such fun.”

Brandi set the receiver down and turned to Matt Branch.

“We’re on,” she said.


© Copyright 2006 Scott Ramsey (UN: scottramsey at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scott Ramsey has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/461102-Chapter-56