*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/461772
Rated: GC · Book · Action/Adventure · #1167223
A Navy SEAL, crippled by wounds, is given a chance to be whole again … but at what price?
#461772 added October 15, 2006 at 11:09pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 53
CHAPTER 53

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 29
1030 EST


Brandi’s giggling and squealing echoed within the pool enclosure as Susan crossed the granite deck. Brandi was in the pool with several of the SEALs, playing a very animated game of water polo. There did not seem to be any real rules or score keeping, and the main goal of the game appeared to be to get the ball to Brandi as often as possible so they could then attempt to take it away.

“I bet you never knew water polo was a contact sport,” Melissa said as Susan sat down next to her on a chaise lounge.

“Not that kind of contact,” Susan said as she watched one of the SEALs, Kevin Darrow, grab Brandi about the waist and plunge her under the water as she squealed.

“If she’s not careful, she’s going to lose that top,” Susan said.

“I think you may have discovered the true objective of the game.” Melissa giggled. “Not that it hides much.”

Susan watched the game for a moment before turning back to Melissa. “Isn’t she being a little ….”

“Flirty? Actually, she’s being outrageously flirty,” Melissa said. “Don’t worry, Susan, it’s only because she feels safe. She doesn’t have to fight it with them. She flirts, they flirt back, and every one of them knows it will never go beyond that. She trusts them.”

“So why aren’t you part of the game?” Susan asked.

“Well, Brandi’s bathing suits are still too big, and mine are too small,” Melissa said, looking down at her chest. She was not wearing a bra under her t-shirt because hers were too tight, since her breasts were a full cup larger.

“We’ll get it fixed, Melissa.”

“I know,” Melissa said. “But even if we don’t, it will be all right. It’ll be a little weird having a girlfriend who is my identical twin, but weird seems to be kind of normal these days.”

“I really don’t mean to pry, but I am scientifically curious about this,” Susan said. “Can you feel yourself changing?”

“I feel really drained,” Melissa said a bit hesitantly. “I think most of the changes are happening when I sleep, but I want to sleep a lot. I have to make an effort to stay awake.”

“That would make sense,” Susan said, sensing that the topic was making Melissa uncomfortable.

“It looks like the game is breaking up,” she said to change the subject.

Brandi climbed out of the pool and walked over to join them. With a big grin, she sat on Melissa’s lounge by her legs.

“Brandi, you’re dripping all over me,” Melissa complained.

“You’re lucky, I was gonna give you a big hug,” she said as she picked up a towel and began drying herself off. When she had finished, she hopped up and grabbed a big t-shirt and put it on. It immediately clung to her still damp body.

“Come on, lazy, we’re gonna go for a walk,” she said. “If you stay here, you’re gonna fall asleep, and we won’t be able to wake you up for hours.”

Brandi practically dragged a protesting Melissa up from the lounge and began pulling her towards the door.

“Wanna join us, Mom?”

“You two have fun,” Susan said. “I have some work I need to get done.”

Once they were out of earshot, Brandi leaned over and kissed Melissa on the cheek.

“Do you think she suspects anything?” she whispered.

Melissa shook her head. “She’s curious and worried, but that’s it. You sure looked like you were having a good time with the boys.”

Brandi giggled. “Yeah, I was. I didn’t even mind when they copped a feel every now and then. I bet you never thought you’d hear me say that.”

“Tramp,” Melissa said. “What am I going to do with you?”

“Well, if you can’t think of anything, I’ve got a few ideas,” Brandi said as she took Melissa’s hand. Her expression became serious as she said, “How are you doing, love?”

“I’m tired,” Melissa said. “I really could use a nap. It’s not as bad as I thought it might be, but I don’t want to push things too far.”

“No, that would be bad,” Brandi agreed.

*****

Two hundred miles overhead, a KH-14 surveillance satellite trained its high resolution camera towards the Virginia countryside. It was the most secret surveillance tool in the US arsenal, and thanks to the addition of Forerunner technology, this particular satellite exceeded the five-inch resolution of the others in the series. It still was not able to read a license plate from orbit, although that was due more to a problem with angles rather than resolution. It was capable of identifying something as small as a pack of cigarettes on the ground, or the very distinctive figure of a certain blonde haired young woman.

“There they are,” Evans said, gesturing towards a monitor screen in the back of the black surveillance van. They were parked five miles away from the estate to ensure their quarry would not detect them.

The two young women were plainly visible as they walked about the grounds of the estate. It was even obvious when the Genomorph stopped and lit a cigarette.

“Look at that, they’re walking right along the edge of the estate like they don’t have a care in the world,” Evans said. “If we had the TAC team in place, we could grab them both now.”

“Yes, that worked so well in Los Angeles,” Mercer responded. “We had two teams there, and still they got away.”

“They won’t get away this time,” Evans said. “When can we activate Covington?”

“When everything is in place,” Mercer said. “We have to be within two miles of her to do it, and we need to arrange a diversion to draw the Genomorph and the SEALs away.”

“Sir, the satellite is moving away,” the technician monitoring the feed said. “We’ll lose the image in one minute.”

“We’ve seen enough,” Mercer said. “We know she’s there.”

*****

Melissa stopped walking and looked skyward for a moment.

“What’s wrong love?” Brandi asked.

“Nothing,” Melissa said. “I just had this creepy feeling that we were being watched.”

“Well, we’d better get back inside if we’re gonna make that phone call,” Brandi said. “After that, you probably should take a nap. Otherwise you’ll be too tired to be any fun when we go to bed.”

Melissa groaned and said, “I think I’ve created a monster.”

*****

Arnie Belcher was looking forward to a few weeks with no driving to do. He had dropped his load in the early morning hours and then stopped for some sleep at a truck stop off Interstate 10 just outside Pensacola, Florida. He had not told his fiancée, Jenny, that he was heading back to Birmingham today; he wanted to surprise her. The wedding was scheduled for January, and after that Arnie was going to give up long haul trucking.

He sat on the bed in his truck’s sleeper compartment and opened his laptop to check his email. There was one from Jenny, and he smiled as he read it; he couldn’t wait to see the surprise on her face when he showed up two weeks early. He sent her a quick reply since he wanted to get on the road as soon as possible and give her the rest of the message in person.

As he closed his laptop, his cell phone began ringing. He checked the display for the caller ID before answering, certain it was Jenny, and was surprised when he saw who the caller was.

“Hello Arnie,” Brandi’s voice said in his ear.

“Hello … Brenda,” Arnie said. He knew that cell phones were fairly easy to tap with the right equipment, and was sure the people looking for Brandi had that equipment.

“It’s OK, Arnie, we can talk,” Brandi said. “They’re close but they can’t listen in right now. I can’t talk long, but I really need a truck driver.”

Arnie did not hesitate before replying, “When and where, darlin’. I’m in Pensacola right now.”

“I need you to head to Nevada, for the place we met,” Brandi said. “I’ll be there with some friends. I can fill you in on everything then.”

“I’ll be truckin’ that way in less’an an hour,” Arnie said. “I’ll be there by mid-mornin’ on Monday.”

“I really appreciate this, Arnie,” Brandi said. “I’m looking forward to seeing you.”

“Same here, darlin’,” Arnie said. “You watch out now; them folks can play rough from what I been seein’.”

“You know me, Arnie,” Brandi giggled. “I’m very careful.”

Arnie closed the cell phone and set it aside. Brandi was obviously trying to reveal as little as possible, just in case someone was listening. It went without saying that whatever she needed him for would probably be risky. It didn’t matter; Brandi had saved his life twice. Whatever she needed from him, he was prepared to give. Before he hit the road he started his computer again and composed a longer email to Jenny. He told her several times how much he loved her … just in case.


© Copyright 2006 Scott Ramsey (UN: scottramsey at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scott Ramsey has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/461772