*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/461805-Chapter-67
Rated: GC · Book · Action/Adventure · #1167223
A Navy SEAL, crippled by wounds, is given a chance to be whole again … but at what price?
#461805 added October 15, 2006 at 12:33am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 67
CHAPTER 67

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 29, 2005


Brandi opened the door and actually jumped in surprise when she saw Admiral Hammerstein there, out of uniform and dressed casually in a pair of slacks and a blue, short sleeved shirt. Then she sprang forward and wrapped her arms around his big shoulders, planting a wet kiss on his cheek. She had known a car had pulled up and someone was coming to the door, but she had detected nothing that indicated a threat and had been involved in her housework, so had not focused on who it might be.

“Well, I certainly prefer the greetings I get from you these days to the ones I got from Brandon.” Hammerstein chuckled.

“Well, it would have looked a little odd for me to kiss you back then.” Brandi giggled. “What brings you out to sunny California?”

“You do, of course,” Hammerstein said as Brandi showed him into the living room. “I understand you and Melissa will be leaving for Alabama tomorrow, and I wanted to speak with you while I was in town.”

“Yes, Arnie and Jenny decided they can’t wait until January,” Brandi smiled, a faraway look coming into her eyes.

“Thinking about what ifs?” the Admiral said with a smile.

“Yes,” Brandi said, a bit sadly. “When I was linked to the computer in Nevada, I learned a lot of things … things I haven’t even told Susan or Melissa about. Part of it was about the society of the Forerunners, and the life of a Genomorph.

“They had a very sexually open society. Love was what mattered, not gender. They weren’t hedonistic or anything like that; they believed in monogamous relationships. If Melissa and I lived in their society, the Bonding would have included a ritual … a wedding, and we would have been seen as married in the eyes of everyone.”

“The people who care about you see you that way, I can assure you,” the Admiral said. “The Forerunners were thousands of years more advanced than we are, both technologically and socially. Give it time … you know you both will be around to see many wonderful changes.”

Brandi smiled warmly at the Admiral. He was old Navy, but he had never been one to stand on tradition for tradition’s sake.

“Well, I doubt you are here just to see how I am doing,” she said carefully.

“Well, I am concerned,” Hammerstein said.

“I won’t lie and say I’m fine,” Brandi told him. “It still hurts a lot. Facing the truth about my parents’ murder was hard. I know I’m not responsible, but it still feels that way.”

“I won’t give you much of a lecture, Brandi,” Hammerstein said. “You already know; we carry loss with us for the rest of our lives. Only time will make the pain ease, but it can never erase it entirely.”

“I know, and I don’t want you to worry about me. And as to your other reason for coming here, the answer is yes, with some conditions.”

“I expected that,” Hammerstein grinned.

“Melissa and I have talked it over, and we will make ourselves available to the research team,” Brandi stated. “We would like to limit it to one weekend every three months, with an additional full week once a year. Of course, we have a vested interest in learning as much about ourselves as we can, and should something come up and we need answers we would come to the lab.”

“Those conditions are acceptable,” Hammerstein said. “You didn’t mention anything about compensation.”

“I don’t expect any,” Brandi said. “I still have my ‘trust fund’ after all. I would like to see Melissa receive compensation for her part though. She still doesn’t like having to rely on me financially.”

“She’ll get it,” Hammerstein said hesitantly. “There is one more thing.”

“I’m listening,” Brandi said, bracing herself for what she expected to come.

Hammerstein reached into his breast pocket and pulled out a small black leather case, handing it to Brandi. She opened the wallet and saw that it was a badge and identification with her name and picture. It identified her as a Special Agent for the Scientific and Technological Security Agency.

“OK, you actually surprised me here,” Brandi said slowly. “Does the organization with no name have a name now?”

“After a fashion,” Hammerstein smiled. “Technically, we are under the Department of Homeland Security, and officially we’ll investigate security threats involving a wide area of technological and scientific means.

“Unofficially, we will maintain a special ops division that will investigate threats from other technological means.”

“Other, as in Forerunner,” Brandi supplied.

“There is more Forerunner technology out there; we’re certain of that. Our technology is just getting to the point where we can make heads or tails of most of it, and others may be doing the same.”

“You’re right, Admiral,” Brandi said. “There is more out there. Another thing that I learned from the computer is that there were hundreds of caches scattered across the world. There was no specific information on where they are or what is in them, but there is a lot of it out there.”

“We have to assume that at least some of it will be found,” the Admiral told her.

“You’re worried that there might be another machine,” Brandi said. “That someone might make another like me.”

“Brandi, I assure you there will never be another like you,” the Admiral said with a rueful smile. “But there is a possibility that others may create Genomorphs, or something even more dangerous.”

“I’ll have to talk this over with Melissa, but I have no objections in principle,” Brandi said. “Again, I have a vested interest in this; I need to use my abilities. They’re part of who I am.”

“I promise we will stay out of your life as much as possible,” Hammerstein assured her. “But we would like to be able to call on you for aid if necessary. You would report directly to me, or through Susan to me, and I report directly to the President.”

“I just hope nothing comes up before Christmas,” Brandi said.

“Ah yes, the band,” Hammerstein laughed. “I’m glad that worked out for you. I am a bit surprised that you want to go back to Iraq.”

“I need to,” Brandi said. “There’s something I need to do there. In fact, I could use your help getting it done.”


© Copyright 2006 Scott Ramsey (UN: scottramsey at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scott Ramsey has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/461805-Chapter-67