*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/467733-Chapter-One
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #1172971
She was an outcast... can she still survive?
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#467733 added November 21, 2006 at 8:13pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter One
Running fast, Anna Marie turned her head to look behind her. Nothing but a blur of colors, but she couldn't see anyone else coming after her. Just to be safe, she ran for another three blocks, skidding around a orner and planting her hands on her knees. Her heart thumped hard in her chest, as she heaved in air through her mouth quickly. Brushing dark loks of hair from her eyes, she peered around the corner.
The street was empty, along with the sidewalk that she had just ran along. Well, of course it was empty. The night had fallen hours ago, letting the nippy air settle about the small, sleepy town. It was quiet, to quiet for Anna. She strained her ears never-the-less, listening for the huffing of her fahter's bad lungs, or her mothers quick, light steps.
Nothing. She sighed, sliding down the wall and rubbing her hands through her damp hair. Even in the frigid air, she was sweating, her face feeling flushed and wet. Bringing her jacket sleeve towards her face, she wiped it, taking along the tears than began randomly falling down her cheek.
Had what she heard been real? Did her parents really think that? Anna looked down to her hands. This must be a curse... she thought to herself, letting her damp jacket sleeves slide over her hands, as if to hide them in shame. She shook her head. This is a dream... a horrid nightmare that I am unable to wake from....
Standing up on shakey legs, she looked around the corner again. Nothing. No noise. No usuall noise of animals, no noise of cars or late night walkers. Just silence. Immense silence that wrapped around your body, and devoured you until you just had to make a noise to break it. Anna pulled her fingers to her lips, thinking of what she should do.
She knew it wasn't a dream. It couldn't be. The pain was to real... her side ached, her head throbbed. No, not a dream. Just to make sure... she pinched herself.
"Ow..." Her voice was almost foreign to her, like she had never heard it before. It was now hoarse, nothing but a whisper. Rubbing her arm softly, she took one last glance down the street, and took of in the other direction,towards the wood at the other side of the town.
Going at a mere jog, she wasn't going to get tired out as quickly, so she was able to run further. The sound of her footsteps echoed to her ears, giving her something to focus on... to keep steady.
"One two three four.... one two three four... one two three four...." She counted, repeating her self over and over, going with the claps of her feet. After what seemed like an hour of running, she slowed to a walk, turning around and walking backwards to look at the town she once loved. The town she once trusted. Slowly stoppping, she roughly wiped a tear from her eye.
"Stupid people..." She mumbled beneth her breath, watching the twinkling lights of the homes dwindle a bit. She was able to spot her own house, high up on the hill that only supported but a few houses. It looked so peaceful, a small billow of smoke coming from the chimney, a pasture with a few cows and a horse. Almost like the perfect family lived there. Oh, how it was so decieving. Anna's eyes narrowed, as she looked upon teh scene with disgust.
And with that, she turned around, and began jogging towards the wood that awaited her.

© Copyright 2006 ~*~Taylor~*~ (UN: tayluvhorses at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
~*~Taylor~*~ has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/467733-Chapter-One