*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/484649-013107---I-found-Out-I-am-Not-Cool---A-List
Rated: 18+ · Book · Comedy · #1206540
Middle-Age Spread is NOT a Condiment!
#484649 added February 9, 2007 at 4:58am
Restrictions: None
01/31/07 - I found Out I am Not Cool - A List
I seem to be in a "list making" kind of mode with my writing. I made a list yesterday, and today is no different. I feel I have to apologize to you for this, but all I can say is I have to get it out of my system. Just bear with me.

Here is my list for today:

I came home from work last night and found my daughter typing away at the computer. I stupidly thought she was doing her homework. She was infact typing an 'IM' to one of her friends. As soon as I stood behind her, she typed "POS" to her friend. Her friend typed back a series of asterisks, but nothing else. Curious as to why she got that response, I asked what "POS" meant. She said, "It means 'parent over shoulder'. Oh! I took this to mean that I was an intrusion into the conversation and slowly slunk away like a wounded dog.

My daughter changed the radio station in my car from the "boring" talk radio station to one that plays Top 40 music. We listened to whoever it was and I realized that I couldn't understand a word that was being sung. Thinking it was my forty-something hearing, I turned up the volume. This didn't help. I still couldn't understand what was being said. My daughter just looked at me like I was a dinosaur. There was a time when I knew all of the songs on the Top 40 stations. Now I have to ask my daughter, "Who's this singing?"

Which leads me to MTV. I tried to watch MTV the other day. First of all, they should change the name of this channel seeing as how they don't even play music anymore. All that was on were stupid reality shows. I want my MTV, but my MTV is the 80's version. In those days I could sit and watch it all day. They played one video after another with a few breaks of "MTV News". I didn't even mind the news segments because they talked about MUSIC. Those were the days!

I used to be able to stay awake way past midnight. Now I end up falling asleep around 9:30-10:00. This has a lot to do with my unusual sleep patterns. Since I wake up around 3:30 it is no wonder that I fall asleep so early. As for my husband, he thinks I have gone 'old'. "You go to bed early, you wake up early. That's what old people do!" If this is a sign of old-age, well then, I guess I am old!

I bought a great-looking pair of shoes on sale and couldn't wait to wear them. They have a three-inch heal with a pointed toe. This, in my younger days, wouldn't bother me in the least. However, that was before my bunions became an issue. I wore these shoes all day, and paid for it dearly. My bunions ached all night. I mean 'wake me up in the middle of the night' ache too. I now call them my "Bunion Busters" because they target that area of my foot. By the way, I still wear them, I just know that my bunions will ache. There's no way that I wouldn't wear them! (You know what I mean!)

Because my bunions ache so much, I made an appointment with the podiatrist. I sat in the waiting room patiently waiting for them to call my name. When I looked up from the magazine I was trying to read (I wasn't wearing my glasses!) I saw a roomful of senior citizens. I was the youngest person there.

And speaking of my glasses, I now wear the dreaded "bifocals". They are a recent addition to 'my look'. Getting used to them is not easy either. I find myself constantly tilting my head up and down so I can choose the 'right' lense. My daughter will give me some kind of notice that she received in school and expects me to read it without my glasses. I can no longer read anything without my glasses, let alone a notice from her school. I hear my mother's words coming out of my mouth, "Read it to me. I don't have my glasses."

I watch everything I eat. I mean everything! I used to be a junkfood addict. I would sit in front of the TV with a huge bag of potato chips. I could eat the whole bag without a care because I wouldn't gain any weight. Now, I couldn't tell you the last time I had a potato chip. I don't even buy them because I know I have no control over myself when it comes to them. Eating them would immediately put ten pounds on me. When I walk down the snack aisle of my supermarket, I can actually hear my favorite brand of chips calling my name. "Buy me! Eat me!", they call to me. I can't even look at them without a tear forming in my eye. My old friends!

Every hair appointment involves getting my hair colored. Whatever happened to the days when I would get my hair colored just for the hell of it? Coloring my hair is no longer a "just because" thing. It has now become a necessity. Without it, I would be completely grey-haired, and with the bifocals that would just be unacceptable to me. It just doens't fit in with my self-image.

I hate to say it, but it is time for me to get ready for work. I'm not too happy with my entry today. I hope tomorrow will be better and won't be "a list".

Thanks for reading!

© Copyright 2007 Victoria (UN: vlm0325 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Victoria has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/484649-013107---I-found-Out-I-am-Not-Cool---A-List