*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/494194-031107---Former-Trekkie
Rated: 18+ · Book · Comedy · #1206540
Middle-Age Spread is NOT a Condiment!
#494194 added March 11, 2007 at 5:00am
Restrictions: None
03/11/07 - Former Trekkie
I've been missing in action for the past two days because I haven't been feeling well. I think it is the medication my doctor gave me. That's why you haven't heard from me. Hopefully, I'm back in action. Below is my entry for today. Not one of my better ones, I admit. Still, I hope you enjoy it.

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to watch our local PBS station, and, yes, they were in the midst of their quarterly 'beg-athon'. This took me back to my single days.

When I was single and had nothing to do on a Saturday, I would watch our local PBS station. They would run six episodes of the original 'Star Trek' series. That means six hours of going 'where no man has gone before'. This was my company for the evening. I sat and watched them faithfully on those lonely Saturday nights.

During one of their beg-athons, they weren't receiving the number of pledges they needed to keep 'Star Trek' as their Saturday evening programming. They actually threatened to cancel the series. "No other PBS station runs 'Star Trek'," they said. I panicked. What would I do if they stopped showing 'Star Trek'? How would I pass the time on my empty Saturday nights?

I quickly dialed the number to make a pledge. There was no way that I could allow them to cancel my favorite show. I made my pledge and was told I would receive tickets for the upcoming 'Star Trek' Convention. I never considered myself to be that intense of a fan, but I thought it would be interesting to see what one of the conventions was like.

I asked a guy that I knew to go with me. He was the type of guy who would have gone anywhere with me. Although he wasn't crazy about the idea, he accepted. Anything to spend a day with me, I guess. When we arrived, the place was crawling with people wearing Klingon costumes, Federation uniforms, and carrying phasers. I felt slightly under dressed in my jeans and sweater.

We spent the day looking at 'Star Trek' memorabilia, going to an auction, and, generally people watching. It was a fun day. Soon it was time for the finale. William Shatner, Captain Kirk himself, was to be the guest speaker. Everyone filed into the auditorium hours before his actual appearance. My guy-friend and I ended-up in the nose-bleed section of the auditorium. Finally Shatner appeared on-stage. The crowd went wild. They gave him a five minute standing ovation and flashbulbs blinked constantly. We were speechless. This scene was surreal. You would have thought the Queen of England was on stage. After a brief, very brief I might add, talk, Shatner was finished. I was underwhelmed by him. The day was over and we left. I thought that would be the end of my 'Star Trek' convention experiences. I was wrong.

Two years later, Leonard Nimoy was scheduled to appear at the convention. I had to see Spock. By this time I had a new boyfriend that I dragged with me. The day was the same as the previous convention. There were vendors selling memorabilia and there was an auction. But this time there was a twist in the action. There would be a costume judging contest. Klingons, Aliens, Federation wannabes all stood on stage for the judging. The winner would receive tickets to the next convention. These people were die-hard fans. They could quote episode numbers, titles and explain stuff like "The Organian Peace Treaty'. I was no where near their level of dedication. I could hold my own in a conversation with them, but I couldn't tell you 'stardates' or what Kirk's brother's name was.

At the finale, Nimoy came on stage, and again, the crowd went wild. Flashbulbs flashed, the standing ovation lasted forever, and finally it was time for him to speak. He was wonderful to the fans. He stayed after his speech to sign autographs. I thought it would be cool to get one, so I bought a Spock photograph for him to sign. To my surprise, the line was practically out the door. Some people had forgone hearing him speak so they could stand in line to get his autograph. We tried to cut in line, but almost got into a fight. So, my boyfriend and I decided to sign each others photograph with, "Live Long and Prosper, Leonard Nimoy." Who would ever know that it wasn't really his autograph? We would just show family and friends anyway. What a great day.

When I tell my husband and daughter about my 'Star Trek' convention experiences, they look at each other and roll their eyes. I've even caught them mouthing the word 'nerd' to each other.

My local PBS station no longer runs 'Star Trek' on Saturday nights. Too bad. I miss watching them. Besides, I haven't been to a convention in over twenty years. It would be interesting to see how they've changed, if they did at all. 'Live long and prosper'.

© Copyright 2007 Victoria (UN: vlm0325 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Victoria has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/494194-031107---Former-Trekkie