*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/495252
Rated: 18+ · Book · Community · #937217
Chrysalis searches for her people, and those responsible for taking them.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#495252 added August 18, 2020 at 6:39pm
Restrictions: None
Trail to Tomorrow
It is too quiet here, Chrysalis thought while her and Gairvin walked on the dirt trail. They had galloped for a long time watching unfamiliar areas pass by and wondering what demons the trail would conjure up to block their path. They had slowed their pace to a walk just in case they heard something that could be human. Gairvin's nervousness had not faded, it had in fact increased. His ears flicked back and forward constantly. He would start at birds taking flight, or the bushes rustling as a rabbit jumped out and scampered away. Chrysalis wanted to say something to him about his skittishness, she was still unsure as to who was in charge between the two of them. Leadership was a new concept to her, so she opted for just staying silent for now. Perhaps his wariness will be good for later.

"I have been thinking," Gairvin said, bringing her back from her thoughts. "I think we would be safer traveling in the forest and watching the road. If other races utilize this road, then we need to be unseen to start with."

"Okay. We are quieter in the forest anyway." Chrysalis replies as she changes directions to enter the forest. Gairvin followed her into the forest. His skittishness ceased as the trees enveloped them and they moved far enough into the forest that the trail was barely visible.

It occurred to Chrysalis after awhile, this forest wasn't really alien, it was dormant. Everything slept, there was not any of her people here to bring life to the forest. Chrysalis stared at the trees that reached to the sky, and imagined it would only take one of the Tenders and a Priestess to awaken fully this forest. Little things were already awakening as they walked through. flowers began to bloom and everything seemed to become more vibrant in color. A trail of moss seemed to follow Gairvin and Chrysalis as they moved through. Birds and other animals began to gather to see what was changing their home. There was a greeting here now and it made Chrysalis relax as birds landed on her back pouch and sang their songs. Gairvin snorted and kept moving. The warrior's sect did not have as close of a bond with nature as they should. They could read a trail weeks old, and find food in the most difficult circumstances, and they were lethal fighters. So Chrysalis enjoyed the animals and the forest as it awakened to their presence, feeling more normal than before this whole mess started.

They stopped mid-day to rest.

They chose a nice sized clearing to enjoy their meal of wild vegetables and fruit they had foraged along the way. Supplemented with cheese, it was filling. Gairvin ate efficiently, keeping his eyes on the road they were traveling near.



My Angel Bear!
** Image ID #1196741 Unavailable **
Lyonesse

© Copyright 2020 Skyaire (UN: chrysanthys at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Skyaire has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/495252