*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/505997-Body-Language
Rated: ASR · Book · Other · #1255122
This is where I'm keeping my finished challenges
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#505997 added May 3, 2007 at 8:12pm
Restrictions: None
Body Language
She checked her watch and looked back at the road, again. Her backpack sat on the bench beside her, a book lying atop it. She picked the book up, found her page, and then placed it back down again. She shook her head, a curl falling outside the coif and into her eyes. She checked her watch again. She sighed.

He was watching her. His hands gripped the balcony railing until his knuckles turned white. His eyes were glued on the blonde below, blocking out the rest of the world. He jumped when someone laid a hand on his arm, but he didn’t look away.

“She’s waiting for you, y’know,” Jerry said.

“I know.”

“Aren’t you going to go meet her?”

“No,” Mick said. “I mean, I want to, but she’s – she’s –”

“Coward,” Jerry said.

Mick’s shoulders slumped and he hung his head, still never taking his eyes off the girl below. He nodded slowly.

“She won’t forgive you for standing her up. I’m not sure if she’ll keep talking to you. I know you’re in love with her – you’ve been moping around for ages. Just go meet her and be yourself and she’ll love you, too.”

Mick set his jaw and stood up a little taller. He let go of the railing and turned to go downstairs and out to meet the girl.

Jerry watched from the balcony as Mick approached her. Mick’s feet were dragging and he was slouching. The girl put her book away and closed her backpack. She slung it over one shoulder, checked her watch again and sighed. She turned away from Mick to walk away. “C’mon, you can do it, Mick. Call after her. Make her stay.”

“Georgia?!” Mick said.

The blonde girl turned around. Jerry thought there was a tear in her eye, but her face was set against crying. His right hand balled into a fist on top of the railing. He couldn’t hear them, now that Mick was speaking in a normal voice. Georgia was standing opposite Mick, but she was listening even though her arms were crossed, her eyes were narrowed, and her lips were compressed. Jerry watched as she relaxed, her shoulders loosening, then her arms, although they stayed crossed. Mick was standing a little straighter, as well, the longer he spoke.

Jerry smiled, unseen by both. “Atta boy, Mick. I knew you had it in you!”
© Copyright 2007 Storm Machine (UN: sesheta at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Storm Machine has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/505997-Body-Language