*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
11
12
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/509220-Trying-to-get-back-in-the-groove
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(257)
by Dave
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1236257
A log of the magnificent journey across the vast sea of my imagination.
#509220 added May 17, 2007 at 6:01pm
Restrictions: None
Trying to get back in the groove.
Since losing four days to a stomach virus a couple of weeks ago, my efforts have been focused on clearing the backlog of assignments in my poetry classes needing reviews/grading in between trips to the doctors for further evaluation and lab work.

Our current assignment for "The Terrace (CLOSED) requires that we identify our target audience. Many writers and creative writing teachers advise that you write for yourself and worry about the market later. Others classify writers into two categories:

1. Professionals who identify a specific market and focus all their efforts on becoming intimately familiar with the intricacies of that market and writing with those requirements in mind.

2. Amateurs who write based on creative whim without regard for any market requirements.

Over the years, I have used both approaches.

My first writing job entailed writing instructions for field technicians to implement retrofit modifications to operational aircraft. Those instructions required concise clarity in accordance with detailed specifications. I made a good salary and had hundreds of documents published by the Air Force, Navy, and civilian operators.

Later, I wrote business correspondence explaining the application of ocean freight rates to customers, sales reps, and auditors, as well as training material for coworkers.

In recent years, I have decided to turn my muse loose and start writing more creative work. I enjoy the freedom that offers, while still writing lessons and reviews for my poetry students along with public reviewing. Perhaps there will come a time when I'll be drawn to a particular genre and audience, but in the meantime I plan to experiment with a variety of styles, forms, and genres. I believe that is the most effective way to learn how various techniques work with different elements and develop my creative writing skills.

One important factor to consider in approaching different markets is the level of competition. Many publications with higher circulations expect exceptionally high quality work and usually use professional full-time writers who are specialists in their fields. While it may be possible for less experienced writers to make a breakthrough, the odds are not in our favor. I think we have a better chance by taking a realistic approach and submitting to more receptive publications.


© Copyright 2007 Dave (UN: drschneider at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dave has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/509220-Trying-to-get-back-in-the-groove