*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/532607-Alone-on-a-Crowded-Ship
by samile
Rated: 13+ · Book · Drama · #1314442
Follows two WWII nurses on their journey from the United States to war torn Europe.
#532607 added September 3, 2007 at 6:32pm
Restrictions: None
Alone on a Crowded Ship
I wish we were in Europe already.

I know Laura is becoming irritated with me for mentioning this so often, but I find it hard to contain my restlessness. We have been sailing for three days now and I long to see some land.

It is raining outside at the moment, which is why I’ve retreated to the small room I call home for the time being. I want to write my parents just to tell them I love them and miss them, that I hope they are doing well but I have found it hard actually sit down and begin writing which is why I have decided I will write at least something, anything, no matter how short to them today.

I grab a semi-sharpened pencil out of my bag along with a sheet of paper and pause to think before I begin.

Dear Mother and Father,

I hope this letter finds you well and in good spirits. I miss you both very dearly and, quite honestly, more than I ever expected to. I wish I was back home, even if for just one more day. I’d hug you both one more time and tell you how much I love you. Homesickness is a funny thing. When I was back home, all I ever wanted was to be independent, to have a chance to make it on my own. Now that that opportunity has been presented to my, I see how much I miss being with you both and the family and friends who are so dear to me. Please tell Granny and Grandpop how much I love and miss them.

I am doing well, despite my longings for home, so please, do not worry about me. I’m sure once I reach England, I shall be too busy to think about much else than the work I will have! Boy, is this ship crowded! I cannot believe how many of us they have managed to pack on here but at least that makes for some interesting company. I do declare, I’ve met someone from every state in the Union in just the few days I’ve been on board.

Hugs and kisses to you all and take care!

Love,

Mae

I glance quickly over the letter before folding it and placing it in an envelope without sealing it. I won’t be able to mail it until we dock, so I may be able to enclose another letter or two if I can actually make myself write them.

A wave of tiredness passed over me as I finished tucking my letter and pencil away. The nervousness that had fled temporarily has returned with a vengeance and I find it increasingly difficult to sleep at night. Only a few more days, I tell myself, just a few more and then we shall be in Europe and I will be doing something useful, will be making a difference and helping those who need it. Right now, I have nothing to do and nowhere to go. It is a new feeling for me and a strange one at that.

I glance at my watch-several hours with nothing to do. Sighing, I reach behind my and swat at my pillow once, twice in a feeble attempt to fluff it up before allowing my head to fall back on it.

I’m tired, but too wound up to sleep. Instead, I lay there and stare at the ceiling, the deep sound of the ship’s engines lulling me into a state of semi-peace as I hear footsteps move back and forth above me.

~samile~
© Copyright 2007 samile (UN: samile at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
samile has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/532607-Alone-on-a-Crowded-Ship