*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/535960
Rated: E · Book · Young Adult · #1320328
A chronicle of questions and thoughts from a college student.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#535960 added September 18, 2007 at 10:23am
Restrictions: None
Introduction / Human Nature
Here I am.

Before I pour into my life story or reach into the deep processes of my mind, I must first thank someone.

Thank you to the anonymous person who gifted me an upgraded membership. I trully appreciate it. I don't know the cause of it. Perhaps I reviewed someone's work or took their survey and he or she was grateful. Whatever the reason, I can now write all I want about it in this book. So thank you. =)

It's the little things like this that retain my fleeting hope for people. I am not Anne Frank. I do not believe people are basically good. I think they are only good when it is convienient for them. I saw an interesting survey on WDC that asked if someone offered to pay one million dollars to a charity, or give you five-thousand dollars, which would you choose?
It's a great question and really speaks to human nature.
I was ashamed to say I would take the $5,000 for myself.

Stop and think about it for a second. Would you choose the charity over yourself?

It could just be the poor indebited college student within me, but I could get my life off to a good start with that money. How wonderful would it be to leave college debt free? One of my roommates actually has enough scholarships coming her way that when they are added together she is getting paid to go to college. I'm not a genius and I just can't bring myself to devote as much time to studying as she does.

I hope my first ever entry here isn't making me sound too bad. Maybe I should defend myself a bit. It's not that I don't want to help people, I do. I fully intend one day when I've got my American dream to help others. Once I get my house with two cars and two kids who are all grown up, I want to fully devote myself to volunteering and helping people. Right now, I just have to make sure that I can make it, so that I can help others in the future.

I'm not stupid either. Just because I don't have scholarships for school doesn't mean I can't read. I've made it to my junior year of college, a feat that many (fairly smart) people have failed to do. Not only that, but I've made it into upper division as well. All of my roommates (even the really smart one) are still working on the tail-end of their generals. But I pushed myself, took several summer classes, and now I'm ahead of the game (or on par with where people should be).

I guess if there's one thing you can say about me, it's that I am hard-working. I've had a job since the day I turned 16. I apply myself in school while taking a full load. I always make sure I have at least 16 credits. Not only that, but I don't quit my job when school comes around. So during the school year, while all my jobless friends take their 14 credits, I'm holding up to the pressures of 17 credits, 30 hours of work, and upper division classes.

Hoo boy, now I'm starting to sound conceited. Let me defend that too. I will admit I'm confident in myself and my abilities. If others fail at something or think it can't be done, I'll always say, "Hey, let me give it a shot." But I don't walk around blaring my own trumpet.

Anyways, there is a little taste of me and what's to come. Not every entry will be so personal. Some may just be about abstract ideas, but others will certainly dive into my life and I'm happy to open the window into my life and soul (as cliche as that may sound).

© Copyright 2007 Kimberlily (UN: kimberlily at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kimberlily has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/535960