*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/542399-Yesterday---Act-1-Scene-2-Yolandas
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Book · Drama · #1334394
One acts plays
#542399 added October 17, 2007 at 5:17pm
Restrictions: None
Yesterday - Act 1 Scene 2 "Yolanda's"
Act 1
Scene Two
Yolanda’s

Future Bianca - The whole way to Yolanda’s, I tried to figure out all of my best responses, smart remarks, evil glares, you know the deal. I walked into the restaurant and checked for my reservation.

Matron - Name?

Present Bianca - Its either under Forrester or Sawyer.

Matron - Right this way, please.

Future Bianca - The place was pretty much empty. There were only a few people. Not many people ventured down here anymore. It was still the ghetto, no matter how many Starbucks you built. There was a lady sitting in the corner, she looked ill. Oh, dear God. This is not what I had envisioned. How the hell can I be so dumb. I planned my thrashing all day and it dies as I stare at this pathetic sight.

Debra - Bianca, over here sweetie.

Future Bianca - The voice did not belong to the old lady. I turned to see a beautiful woman before me. She stood in front of a table where some guy and a young girl. She looked like one of my high school friends. She shot me a smile that brought the nausea to my lips. She looked so….happy. It was like she was prepared for all of this. I wasn’t. But I knew I had to suck it up. I was ready for whatever she had to throw at. I didn’t know who the other people were but it didn’t very much matter to me. I walked over to the table and sat between the man and girl. She sat down and patted the guys hand.

Debra - So, how are you?

Future Bianca - I couldn’t answer. If I spoke, the tears would come. That’s the last thing I wanted. I wouldn’t give her that. I couldn’t stop fidgeting. Who wouldn’t buckle under this type of pressure?

Debra - Silly me, I was never good with manners. This is William and Aubrey.

Present Bianca - Hi…….nice to…..meet you.

Debra - You’ve gotten so big. Its been awhile but I just didn’t expect you to look….so good.

Future Bianca - Was she hoping I looked like shit? My blood was boiling. She brought these people, whoever they were, as decoys. What she didn’t realize was the fact that I didn’t give a damn who was around.

Debra - I see you’ve lost your talkative demeanor. I always knew you’d grow out of it. So, how have things been going? Bianca, what’s wrong honey? I thought you’d be a little more enthusiastic about this.

Future Bianca - This bitch was crazy! What could I say? She was a stranger in my eyes but a memory to my heart. The years had passed us by and there was nothing we could do to bring them back. Life did not come with a rewind button. She shattered my hourglass, made me build my castle with the few grains of sand that she left me. Everyone ordered food while I stared at the woman I loathed so much.

William - Your mother has told us so much about you.

Aubrey - I know this sounds weird but I feel like I’ve known you forever.

Debra - Bianca, don’t be rude, damn it. They’re talking to you. Say something!

Present Bianca - What do you want from me? I mean, why now? Doesn’t this seem a bit pointless to you.

William - Aubrey, I think I’m gonna have a smoke. Why don’t you stand with me?

Aubrey - But I want to--

William - Aubrey, now.

Debra - No, Will. You guys shouldn’t have to.

William - Its fine. You guys need some time alone. We’ll be back shortly.

Present Bianca - Yeah, thanks Will. I mean, its only been a few decades!

Debra - That’s enough. I did not come here for your sulking.

Present Bianca - The what did you come for?

Debra - I know I made some mistakes but I don’t see the need to justify myself. What’s done is done. I just wanted to see you and know that you made it alright.

Present Bianca - And if I hadn’t?

Debra - But you have.

Present Bianca - After all this time, aint a damn thing changed about you. You’re right. You have to explain squat to me. You need to do some explaining to that girl you left behind in some apartment. You just galloped off while I was left to clean up your shit. Yeah, I made it and no thanks to you!

Debra - I know you think it will make you feel better, but you’ll feel sorry later on when you realize how foolish you look right now. I mean, look at me. I’m happy, my life has meaning. don’t you see, I found my purpose.

Present Bianca - For one moment, out of your busy fucking schedule, could you pretend like this shit means something to you. Act like you gave a damn, like you felt sorry for leaving.

Debra - Why must you insist on making this whole thing about you? Its not Bianca’s world, ya know! There is so much more out there yet you insist on dwelling on the unfixable. Just let it go. I did. I wasn’t there for you back then, I’ll grant you that, but I’m here now and that’s what should be most important to you.

Future Bianca - She acts like I didn’t want to let go. Like I chose to harbor all of these feelings. I had tried everything to let it go; therapy, drugs, alcohol, sex. Anything that might possibly erase the pain for just one more day.

Debra - I know you felt alone. So did I. William calls it “spreading my wings.” I needed to go away for awhile, to learn who I was inside!

Present Bianca - You’re insane. You’ve lost your damn mind. Its official, you’re fucking nuts!

Debra - I never said I was right for all that happened. But I’m not going to sit here and let you paint me as the enemy. I lived my entire life to please other people. Do you have any idea what that’s like? And then one day, I went to see you when you were in the hospital. You were waiting for the nurses to finish treatment. You looked so tired. I wanted to tell you about my plans but I knew with everything going on, you just wouldn’t understand. I just needed to find my happiness. Trust me when I say, it wasn’t you. There were just things that I couldn’t have back then. Things I knew I deserved. And so, I made a sacrifice.

Future Bianca - Boo-fucking-hoo! What the hell was she thinking? The nerve to try to justify leaving your family behind.

Debra - William makes me happy. He understands me in ways that…….Everyday,

Aubrey reminds me a bit more of Caroline. I know that is not what you want to hear but it’s the truth. I wish I could have fixed things for you. I failed in that sense. After the accident, things changed and I knew I would never have what I needed.

Present Bianca - What? What did you need so badly, mother? Sex? Is that what made you pack your shit and run?

Debra - You will not talk to me in that manner, I don’t give a damn if you’re grown. I’m still your mother.

Present Bianca - Oh, so now you’re my mother? Well, isn’t that precious? You really are a cold-hearted bitch. To leave your family behind for a lack of sex. What a piece of work!

Debra - I’m going to disregard all of your anger, because I know this is hard for you. You’ll probably never understand my reasoning behind leaving but I wish you would try. William is a good man. He loves me, he makes me happy. I took the chance and moved down to Florida with him. Here we are, so many years later and he loves me more and more each day. Cant you at least understand that? Love, baby, I did it for love. I wish you could just find it in your heart and be happy for me.

Future Bianca - More, now then ever, I despised her. I could kill her. Who the hell did she think she was, Oprah? I didn’t give a damn about her happiness. All I could think of was how I could drag her into a alley and strangle her without a second thought. You may think I’m some selfish bitch who was just looking for revenge. Maybe part of that is true. But if only you knew. If only you could see deeper into it. Then you would know. I had to clean up her shit, lie for her, pretend. How could anyone ask that of their child? Would you?

Debra - Maybe if you got to him, then maybe you would see what I see.

Past Bianca - He didn’t die the day of the accident, you know. For some reason, he held on. He held on for four years. And in those four years, I visited him every single day. There wasn’t a moment that passed that he didn’t know I cared. For four years, I looked into those eyes, and told him it would all get better. Some days, he didn’t he even know who I was. So I’d explain it all over again. And every time I walked through those doors, I would bring him one rose and a card. And when it died, I would dry it for him. Do you know what those cards said? Do you?

Debra - Bianca, don’t--

Past Bianca - Until the end of time, and back, my heart will utter your name. Love, your wife….Debra!

Debra - I said don’t, damn it!

Past Bianca - He died four months after you ran away. You left him alone, for what? Your happiness? Your joy? I will never stop loving him. that’s family. Sad as it may be, he never stopped loving you. You cant sugar coat it any more. You cant fix that! No matter what, you will never give him peace. And for that reason alone, I am justified in hating you forever. Until the day I die!

Debra- He was ill, Bianca. They never thought he was going to recover. What the hell was I suppose to do?

Past Bianca - Love him. Or release him. I shouldn’t have been the one to tell him you were gone. He cried so hard, he couldn’t breath.

Debra - You told him?

Past Bianca - I had to. He wouldn’t let go any other way. He fought just to see your fucking face one more time. When he knew it wouldn’t happen, he gave up.

Debra - Just go, please. I’ll never bother you again. No matter what I say, you’ll always hate me for his death. But I didn’t put him there. I didn’t kill him. You want to hate me, so if this makes it easier for you, then that’s just fine. No matter what I say or do, I’ll be wrong. What the hell do you want me to do?

Present Bianca - What would I want? You married him so someone would watch your kids. You made him love us. Why couldn’t we just stay bastards. We wouldn’t have known the difference. Even worse, you made him love you. And then you let him die alone. I don’t give a damn what you do, or where you go. Just leave and never look back. You were always good at that!

Debra - I shouldn’t have asked you here.

Future Bianca - I know that none of the words I said made m any better then she. I didn’t bring him back. But I didn’t care. If you ever saw my father’s agony for but a moment, you would understand. He was a good man, tried his hardest, and got nothing in return.

Debra - should I have stayed, and lied for another fifteen years?

Present Bianca - He sacrificed everything for us and you were always ungrateful. You’re nothing more than a bitter, old woman with nothing to show for herself. The best you ever did was leave us. I was there and I set him free.

Debra - Bianca……

Future Bianca - It was over. I put the box on the table before taking my things. It was time to go. I could’ve predicted this. Forget Ms. Cleo, ask me and I’ll tell you how shit will role. He was gone and I couldn’t change that but I would never disgrace him by forgiving her.

Debra - What is this?

Past Bianca - There rose petals. From all one thousand five hundred and eighty three of them.

Debra - What?

Future Bianca - I had waited twenty years to give those to her. My father didn’t want them. The day he died, he passed with one flower by his bedside. A sunflower, because we’ve all seen brighter days. That one was from me.

Debra - I cant take this.

Past Bianca - Tell your mother, he said, tell her it’s the end; utter someone else’s. Go Dad!

William - are you leaving so soon? We haven’t eaten yet.

Present Bianca - Not hungry, but thanks anyway.

William - Well, it was nice meeting you.

Present Bianca - Right. Hey, how old are you?

Aubrey - Sixteen. Why?

Present Bianca - Just curious. I’d start packing if I were you.

Aubrey - For what?

Present Bianca - You’ll see.

William - Aubrey, come on. You have to let her go now. She’s busy.
© Copyright 2007 Delilah (UN: bex1053 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Delilah has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/542399-Yesterday---Act-1-Scene-2-Yolandas