*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/597368-racism-in-a-small-town
by spidey
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1207864
If you don't have a dream, how are you going to make a dream come true?
#597368 added July 19, 2008 at 2:43pm
Restrictions: None
racism in a small town
Something huge happened here recently, in the next town over - the town I moved out of a year and a half ago. What we know is a man was beaten to death. There are tons of rumors flying around, and it seems it was a group of white teenagers that beat a Mexican (illegal) immigrant until he was near death. (He later died at a hospital)

Right now there are no charges brought against anyone yet. The police are still investigating, trying to piece together what exactly happened. Most in the area (regardless of their feelings toward immigrants, legal and otherwise) are horrified at the tragedy and the senseless violence. Others, though...

I've been trying to follow the story in the local newspaper, and apparently people have been leaving tons of comments on their website (https://www.republicanherald.com). In yesterday's edition, they printed a sampling of the comments. Like I said, most were appalled at the terrible act. They printed one comment that showed indifference, though. Here is that comment exactly how it appeared in the newspaper:

I have absolutly (sic) no pity whatsoever! If this man had bothered in 6 years to become legal then I would have sympathy. Its not the color of thier (sic) skin or thier (sic) nationality that upsets 80% of people , it is the fact that they come here most do not bother to speak or even learn English and they don't go thru the proper chanels (sic) to be here legally.


Although the comment upset me (so they think murdering an illegal immigrant is fine?), I had to laugh at the newspaper's choice of the one 'negative' comment - one that complains about people not learning English yet destroys the language with errors. (I'm surprised the newspaper missed a few errors, though)

Sometimes I admire the local paper for standing up to ignorant people... They have that write-in column ("Thunder Enlightening") that prints people's comments. A commentator replies to some of the comments, often pointing out ignorant thoughts, errors, etc., and often in a very sarcastic, demeaning tone. There have been a few times where I thought the commentator was out of line, but for the most part I like what he has to say.

This murder, though, has astonished everyone. People are upset that no one is being charged yet. I've heard of several people contacting national news agencies and networks, trying to get attention to be sure justice is sought.

There's also a fear of retaliation and talk of hate-crimes. It's a scary time. I have to say I'm glad I'm not living in that town right now...


© Copyright 2008 spidey (UN: spidergirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
spidey has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/597368-racism-in-a-small-town