*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/597965-Stop-and-Enjoy
Rated: E · Book · Inspirational · #1453687
A collection of thoughts and musings about life in general.
#597965 added July 22, 2008 at 3:03pm
Restrictions: None
Stop and Enjoy
Probably everyone has heard the story of the two loggers, but I'm going to repeat it one more time.


Two guys, John and Joe, got brand new chain saws.  They lived in the Montana backwoods and both logged for a living.  They had small, one-man operations, selling only the timber they cut on their property.  With the purchase of this new equipment, John challenged Joe to a contest:  For six months, they would cut as many trees as possible and whoever had the most stockpiled at the contest's end would arrange to haul the other's product to market.

John was sure he would win.  He got up at the break of dawn every day and cut timber until the last light.  He spared no time for weekends or the occasional recreational day.  By the end of the first month, John's woodpile dwarfed that of Joe's.  He still led at the end of two months, but as the third month came to a close, John's pile just matched Joe's.  John made up his mind to work even harder.  He eliminated his lunch breaks, got up earlier, worked later and ceased checking in with his neighbor to chart his progress.

Joe, on the other hand, seemed to take a laid-back, some would say lackadaisical, approach to the task at hand.  Oh, he was dedicated and focused on the job during the workday, but he looked forward to the weekend change of pace .  He even arranged a surprise three-day get-away for him and his spouse.  Work began at a reasonable hour and ended the same way.  Breakfasts and dinners were enjoyable family times.    He spared himself the stress of competition by taking no notice of John's progress, but he found pleasure in watching his own woodpile grow.

Finally, the last day of the six months arrived, and John hurried to Joe's house.  He was ready to collect the winning ride to town.  In fact, he had laughed that morning and joked to his wife that maybe they could have dinner together that night.  As he rode up to Joe's house, he wondered what was the structure he saw in the distance.  The reality of the closer view  startled him.  He could not believe his eyes.  Joe's wood was stacked twice the height and length of his own.

"You cheated!" he shouted as he got out of his truck.  "Who helped you do this?" 

"No one."

"That's impossible.  I've worked harder and longer and with more dedication than you.  How did you accomplish so much more in the same length of time?"

"I took the time to sharpen my saw."


Because most of the kids are now out of school, it seemed like a nice time for a reminder that we all need to sharpen our saws with a little family recreation. 

Happy Summer!
© Copyright 2008 Annmuma (UN: annmuma at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Annmuma has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/597965-Stop-and-Enjoy