*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/638670-Game-Two
Rated: E · Book · Activity · #1535033
This is a collection of my experiences playing basketball
#638670 added March 3, 2009 at 6:51pm
Restrictions: None
Game Two
HIPPITY HOOPING

Game 2



I played my second game of basketball last night. It was a totally different experience this time around. First of all, I had to sit around and wait at the gym for two hours before the game started while Norm held his boot camp in the Woodlands. Having all that time on my hands probably sounds ominous, but, actually, it turned out to be rather propitious. I was able to sit in on a lesson some guy was giving to a mixed group of teenagers (boys and girls). I got some ideas on what I can do to practice on my own, and, also, I learned some techniques on how I can improve my game when on the court. I also watched a couple of games that started just before the game I was scheduled for, which always helps to get me mentally ready to play, myself.



Ten minutes before the game, only one other player from my team had arrived at the gym. She spent some time filling me in on some things I wasn’t aware of, and gave me some pointers, which proved to be invaluable. Linda, the woman who heads the team, wasn’t there tonight, and her daughter, Sarah, wasn’t allowed to play, so there were only four of us there to represent our team. Yikes!



I must admit, although I didn’t play very well, I improved over the last time in many ways. First of all, my shots weren’t as weak or unsteady as they were the first time out. I also understood where to stand and why I had to stand there, something that wasn’t explained to me last time, which gave the game some sense and structure. I didn’t get quite as tired, even though four of us were doing the work of five. I was given more opportunities than the last time to catch the ball, pass it to other players, shoot for baskets, and dribble. I was allowed to shoot over and over until I finally made a basket. I felt stupid and incompetent, but I guess you have to start somewhere.



Everyone thanked me for playing and told me I did a good job when I left. Ha. I wonder what they were saying when I walked out of ear shot. Not really. The women I play with aren’t at all like that. They told me they’d rather play with someone like me than with someone who thinks winning is everything. Vicky, the woman who took over for Linda, told me she’s been playing for ten years and has ‘been there, done that’ and wants nothing more than to belong to a team that’s laid back and couldn’t care less how they play. What a relief!

© Copyright 2009 Pony Tale (UN: ponita at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pony Tale has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/638670-Game-Two