*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/641173-Chapter-Eight--I-Do
Rated: 18+ · Book · Romance/Love · #1534312
MarNoWriMo 2009. Book 3 Endurance Series.
#641173 added June 26, 2024 at 10:27am
Restrictions: None
Chapter Eight ~ I Do
Chapter Eight
I Do


TRAFFIC MOVED ALMOST AT a crawl down the boulevard. Calvin tapped his toe, wishing he had considered visiting the Elvis chapel sooner. They could've saved a lot of wasted time. Lisa handled the situation well and impressed him with her ability to keep up at his daunting pace. He had a habit of speed walking when he stepped outside. She stayed close to him and never complained, even though he wouldn't have faulted her if she had. He saw her shoes, the three-inch heels, and felt that her feet bothered her by now, yet she didn't mention it. The woman had tremendous character. He smiled, thinking about her face when he kissed her full on the mouth. Her eyes were wide with shock, yet he noticed their sparkle. Calvin liked that it made her speechless and that she didn't quite know how to deal with him. He always found it better to be spontaneous when it came to women. They would grow bored and walk away if they thought he was predictable for one second.

His thoughts returned to Edward as they headed down the Las Vegas strip, getting closer to the wedding chapel where he expected to find them. Lisa's idea took him by surprise but made perfect sense. Calvin couldn't figure out why the idea had not come to him sooner. He knew how Edward operated and became desperate when he felt his back was up against the wall. A desperate Edward tended to take others with him on the way down. Penny would find out the hard way that this relationship would be the biggest mistake of her young life. He stole a glance at Lisa, feeling bad for all she was going through because of their sibling's idiocy. She kept her arms folded over her chest, her body on edge and far from relaxed. He thought about pulling her into his arms, comforting her, and promising that everything would work out, but he couldn't allow himself to follow through.

He turned away from Lisa and gazed out the window as the limo pulled up in front of the Elvis Chapel. Seeing the other limo sitting outside, his heart pounded like the steady beat of a drum. "I think we may have found them," he muttered, opening the door. He stepped out of the vehicle, every impulse pushing him to make the mad dash inside, but he couldn't leave Lisa behind. The hot Nevada air blasted him in the face, completely contrasting with the limo's excellent air conditioning. He extended his hand for her while she inched closer to the door. He wanted her to move faster, to end this fiasco right now.

She refused the hand he offered. When she stood, he noticed how pale her face became. He would think she was terrified about this confrontation if he didn't know any better. "Lisa, it's going to be all right."

She nodded and moved away from the car, crossing her arms again. He closed the door and put his arm around her, resting firmly on her hip as they walked to the front door. Before they reached the entrance, an ecstatic couple flew out the door, laughing and screaming, happy, almost running straight into them. Calvin steered Lisa around the newlyweds and inside the building. A few couples stood around, obviously waiting their turn. He stared at the couple who tried to look like Elvis and Priscilla Presley did on their wedding day decades ago. He shook his head, wondering what type of person would do such a thing and find it necessary to be someone else instead of who they were.

"I don't see them," Lisa whispered.

Calvin headed to the counter, ready to use the same line he had used twice that night. As they approached the woman, he heard laughter, deep and booming, the familiar sound stopping his heart. "Edward," he whispered.

Lisa grabbed his arm and turned him toward the open doorway of the chapel. "They're here."

Calvin smiled at the woman at the reception desk. "We made it just in time."

"For?" she asked, narrowing her suspicious gaze from him to Lisa.

He pointed toward the chapel. "That's my brother and her sister."

A warm smile took over her face. "Oh, how nice, and to think they were under the impression no one was coming."

"Surprise," Calvin said. He reached for Lisa's hand and tugged her through the open doorway.

Penny saw them first, her eyes wide and her lips pursed. She looked stunning in the form-fitting white dress, the way it hugged every sensual curve of her body. Her long blonde hair swept up in a twist at the back of her head, leaving some bangs on her forehead that gave her a more mature look.

"Penny, what's wrong?" Edward asked before turning around and spotting them, his mouth dropping. He snapped his jaw shut and thrust his shoulders back. "Just couldn't stop yourself?" His face turned red with fury, the anger evident in every line of his face and body.

"You know it."

Lisa dropped his hand and cut the short distance to Penny. Calvin watched as she stopped before Edward and stared at him momentarily before moving to her sister's side.

"Penny, you look amazing."

A genuine smile of appreciation took over Penny's face. "It's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen." She spun around in a circle to let them get a better look, the grin unmovable. "Eddie has been so wonderful." Penny bustled, her big blue eyes filled with affection as she gazed up at Edward.

Calvin's breath caught when he realized the extent of what was happening here. Penny really loved his brother. He saw it plain as day as she watched Edward, her heart shining in her eyes and face for the whole world to see. He wondered if he could be wrong about this, that maybe Edward had found someone to share his life with, that maybe he did, in fact, fall in love for the first time in his life.

Calvin stared down at the emerald green carpet, his thoughts going a mile a minute. If Edward really loves the girl, who am I to stop him?

"Did you inform the rest of the family?" Edward asked, stepping up beside him.

Calvin shook his head and lifted his chin to meet his brother's eyes. He had to know for sure and see that this was not a game or a power play so that Edward could make his move within the company. "I wouldn't do that."

Edward shoved his hands deep into the front pockets of his black dress slacks. He glanced over at Penny, a slight smile trying to tug at the corner of his mouth. Calvin watched him, still hoping to see a sign of truth. Edward turned his attention back to Calvin.

"You and Lisa are the only ones that know about this?" His voice held a hint of uncertainty, of question.

"Yes, as far as I know. Penny left a note for Lisa. Lisa contacted me, and we have been trying to track you down all day."

Edward smirked, his shoulders relaxing a bit. "Sorry about the wasted effort. I just didn't see any other way."

Edward sighed, his shoulders swaying from side to side. It was not a big move but a slight shifting of his body. Calvin knew that move, Edward's trademark sign of nervousness. Most wouldn't see it because he had it down to a science, very subtle, but Calvin could spot it a mile away. It made him wonder why. Could something else be happening here?

"Do you intend to go through with this?" Calvin asked.

"Let's get started."

Calvin turned to see the Elvis impersonator smiling, dressed in an awful gold jacket and black pants. Everything about this wedding was so wrong. If Edward wanted to marry Penny, why would he rush to Vegas to do it? He could have his family around and have an elaborate ceremony; it wouldn't have to be a rush in a strange town with crazy antics. Their parents would be devastated and disappointed if Calvin couldn't get them to reconsider.

Edward walked over to Penny and took her by the elbow. Together, the pair moved in front of the makeshift altar.

Calvin caught Lisa's concerned stare, her eyes pleading with him to do something. "Can we have a few minutes?"

Edward and Penny turned back to him. Edward shook his head, and Penny reached out and clung to Edward's arm.

"Other couples are waiting," Elvis reminded them.

"Two minutes is all that I ask."

Lisa closed her eyes and mouthed 'thank you' to him. He smiled back, glad he could do something to help someone. He had to figure out what to say to Edward to get him to reconsider this rushed marriage.

Edward returned to him, and the two headed to the double doors. "Calvin, you have two choices here."

Cal turned in shock. "Are you saying what I think you are?"

Edward smiled, the dopey grin Calvin had not seen in years, the one that showed his true happiness. "Yes, I love her. We are getting married. Today."

Calvin couldn't argue, but he would, for Lisa's sake. "Listen, you love her, that's great, but getting married here, like this. Why don't we all fly back to New York, and you can have a small family ceremony?"

"No, Penny," Lisa cried.

Calvin turned to see Lisa's brown eyes wide, disbelief etching her soft face. She backed away from Penny, right up against the wall, before closing her eyes. Calvin moved to her and needed to understand why she seemed so upset. He stopped, reached out, and pulled her into his arms, rocking her gently.

"What's wrong, Lisa?"

Her fingers clutched at the front of his shirt, pulling a chunk into her hand. "It's too late," she whispered.

He kissed the top of her head and held her a little tighter. "It can't be. They didn't get married yet." Calvin wanted to see Lisa happy, but she would have to realize that Edward and Penny were in love and would be getting married. "I hope we can all return to New York for a small family ceremony."

Lisa pulled out of his arms. He saw the tears that lingered there, threatening to fall. "He didn't tell you, did he?"

Calvin shook his head, resting his hands on her shoulders. "Tell me what?"

"Lisa," Penny called. "Please don't do this."

Calvin turned to look at Penny, standing at Edward's side. Edward draped his arm over Penny's shoulder and pulled her close. No one spoke, the silence filling his mind with scenarios that would turn the company upside down and ruin the relationship with Green's Boutique and Anna's Originals.

"Will someone please tell me what the hell is going on?"

He looked at Lisa and thought she would clue him in after their shared day, but she only turned away and hugged herself. Calvin turned back to Penny. She, too, had the same saddened look he saw on Lisa's face. Penny refused to make eye contact, avoiding him at all costs. "Edward, tell me what is going on here. What am I missing?"

"I hate to interrupt," Elvis said, the bible in his hand as he approached the group.

"Then don't." Calvin snapped.

"No one asked you to come here, Cal. Just let Penny and I do what we came here to do. You can stay or go; it's up to you, but we are getting married."

"Great," Elvis said. "Right this way."

Calvin watched as they walked to the altar and took their places. It irked him that no one would give him the last piece of the puzzle, the one that would make this all understandable. When Elvis spoke, Lisa whimpered. Without thought, he moved to her side, wanting to be there for her. Instead of taking her into his arms this time, he stood beside her. If she needed comfort, all she had to do was take it.

Lisa and Calvin stood at the back wall, silent, watching their siblings' wedding. Calvin shoved his hands deep into his pockets, unable to understand how they all got here. This was wrong on so many levels. His parents would never understand, and when they found out that all he did was stand back and watch and let it happen, they would make his life hell.

Every word the imitation Elvis said became a blur, the words flitting in and out of his ears, while his thoughts became the stronger voice, drowning everything else out. Lisa reached out, resting her hand on his arm. Calvin pulled his hand from the pocket and grasped hers. She held on tight, her grip strong and persistent. He couldn't continue to stand there without knowing what was happening.

He leaned down and smelt the flowery, solid scent of her perfume. "Lisa, please tell me what I'm missing."

She looked up at him, her eyes still brimming with unshed tears. Seeing her this way made his heart clench. She bit her bottom lip as if trying to stop the tears. Calvin waited, wanting to grab her by the arms and shake the answer out of her. Why won't anyone tell me what is going on? He thought about walking up to the altar and objecting when the time came but didn't have a solid reason to stop the wedding.

"Lisa," he whispered. He lifted his hand and cupped her face, his thumb brushing her bottom lip.

She sighed, nodded, and took a deep breath. "All right, but you're not going to like it."

Calvin looked into her eyes and wiped away the one tear that managed to escape.

"Just tell me. Help me to understand."

"Penny's pregnant," she uttered before burying her face into his chest.

Calvin instinctively wrapped his arms around her; all the while, his mind whirled. He couldn't figure out how it happened or when they had the time. As far as he knew, they only spoke during business meetings. This would mean they hid an ongoing relationship for at least a few months. He stared at Penny and Edward, holding hands, smiling, but was at a loss for words.


WC:2382
© Copyright 2024 Purple Princess (UN: purpleprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Purple Princess has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/641173-Chapter-Eight--I-Do