*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/649180-Ive-gone-off-here-people-you-may-want-to-skip-today
Rated: ASR · Book · Biographical · #1469467
Welcome to Whatsit's Wild World.
#649180 added May 11, 2009 at 3:36pm
Restrictions: None
I've gone off here, people, you may want to skip today
THE test is this week. THE big test for our students, that is. Remember when I first came to this job, and the principal told me not to teach the fifty states because they didn't need to know it for THE test? This is THE test.

THE test actually starts tomorrow. Today we are having a pep rally for THE test. Now, she is stopping people from teaching things like the fifty states, because "they don't need to know it for the test," but a pep rally is supposed to do the job? Um . . . okay. Actually, it's not a pep rally in the traditional sense of the word - all the students are marching around the school twice. The principal has called the police to come stop traffic, because our school is bordered on four sides by four streets, one of them a major thoroughfare. Marching around the school twice? Um . . . okay.

All the brouhaha you hear about education not being what it needs to be? Take it from somebody on the front lines . . . it's the truth. It's not the teachers' fault, or at least a lot of it isn't. Between these little airhead children we have, whose parents haven't taught them A from B by the time they get to kindergarten, and principals who say don't teach the fifty states because they don't need to know it, teachers have a serious balancing act. Oh, yes, I know we have the summer and all the holidays. That is the politically correct complaint to make about teachers - we have the summer off, when all we've been doing for ten months is being the highest paid babysitter in town.

Ha ha! I dare anybody to come make our children behave and then after that try to teach them something, not to mention having to turn around and fight the principal too, and not need some time off.

Not happening, people. Teaching gets old, quick.



" . . .my doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and
a natural deficiency in moral fiber . . ."

Douglas Adams


© Copyright 2009 Mrs. Whatsit (UN: mrswhatsit at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Mrs. Whatsit has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/649180-Ive-gone-off-here-people-you-may-want-to-skip-today