*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/655580-Seasons-to-recall
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#655580 added June 21, 2009 at 5:25pm
Restrictions: None
Seasons to recall
Well, the sun just peeked out! Might be a nice afternoon after-all, although thundershowers are more likely. All hail to Summer-in-Montana!

Seasons to recall

I am the last rose of summer, the first leaf of fall.
The last ray of sunshine, the first blizzard's squall.
The final melt of icedom, the greening of it all.
The passing through the greenleaf to fragrant humid thrall.
When next blooms the last rose, I'm the season of the shawl.

Kåre Enga [163.102] 2009-06-21

Based on a line in a entry of VOTE:ObamaDramaOverIn2012:D whose birthday is September 21st and therefore she's "the last rose of summer, the first leaf of fall".

Today is the first day of Summer/Winter depending on where you live. *Smirk* The long and short of it! Here in the north (on the western edge of a timezone), the sun came up at 05:41; it will set at 21:34. That's 15:52 hours of daylight and 17:12 of visible light!

Where Anna-Lisa a.k.a. AL lives in Sweden the day was from 04:22 till 21:55 with only 4:26 hours left over to light a bonfire to banish the night!

In Costa Rica the sun goes up and down like a room-darkening shade regardless. *Pthb*

It is Father's Day and most folks will blog about that. My father has been gone 10 years (1916-1999) so... to keep a list of 5:

1. I inherited my father's smile. Know me and add 1,000 watts and you can just imagine. I have a picture of him when he was around 32. His smile was always genuine.
2. I like cats and dogs and take every opportunity to show them some love and get some in return. My father... attracted them like fleas. If there was an animal around it could be found at his feet. Incredible attraction.
3. My sister burns red then white then red all over again. Dad did too. He took after his Swedish mother that way.
4. My dad was raised around diverse people and seem as relaxed among strangers as he did at family reunions. He was very likable. None of us children (we are 3) are as good at this. I think my youngest sister can handle family; I prefer strangers.
5. My father had no idea what to do with me. I was raised by my mother. Maybe it was the pipe he smoked (Sir Walter Raleigh) or the occasional cigar or that he was the designated disciplinarian and preferred the belt. I am clueless.

No one can be reduced to a list of 5 of course. So this is just a glimpse and an appropriate one for today.

Montana: Damp cool 58° at 2 p.m. in Missoula.
Costa Rica: Heavy rain and 68° at 2 p.m. in San José.
15,637

© Copyright 2009 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/655580-Seasons-to-recall