*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/656245-Chapter-3
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Cheep
Rated: · Book · Fantasy · #1506569
Fantasy and political conspiracy collide in my first novel.
#656245 added June 26, 2009 at 12:25am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 3
Life went on as normal at the old house, and it seemed that everyone was trying not to think about what Taika had seen. All was peaceful, an atmosphere that belied the girl’s fears. Nevertheless she went on with her training from Master Pendleton. She was being especially lenient on the child, trying to keep her busy. A week had already gone by with no new information to speak of, and that and surely lying heavy on Thelma even if she didn’t let it show.
“The easiest way to get a plant to grow for you is to increase its metabolism.” Pendleton explained as they sat outside in the garden with Digby watching them nervously. “Think back to the diagrams we looked at of their internal structure.” Several pots of chrysanthemums were in front of them, poised to bloom. Pendleton looked down at the one closest to her and the buds grew larger, and just like a butterfly bursting from its chrysalis the petals came forth from within.
“Oh, of course,” Taika looked down at her budding plants, excitedly. Putting on a face of intense concentration, she squeezed her eyes shut. When she opened them again the flower was beginning to come out. One by one the tiny vermillion petals emerged, raggedly forming a lopsided, but circular bloom. “I did it!” she exclaimed, falling backward after losing balance on her toes. “It bloomed like it was supposed to!” she said beaming at her teacher who gave her a look of warm reassurance.
“And it should stay that way too,” the old woman added. “As you know there are many different ways to make a flower bloom using magic, but this is the only method that will produce a viable plant. It’s a technique that’s been used by gnomes for as long as anyone can remember.”
“Uh, yeah, that’s correct,” Digby injected from afar, “we been usin’ it since forever,”
“So that’s how you do it!” she felt as though she had been let in on a secret of great importance.
“Now, you can’t be doin’ it too much or ye’ll use up all the nutrients in the soil. ‘Specially if ye try’n grow a tree of sumfin’”
“That makes sense. So then how do you grow so many plants out here?”
“The dirt round here is very rich since this use ta be part a the delta, but I still gots to be very picky with what I plants en where. That en I use a lotta compost en such.”
“So could I grow a tree if I wanted to?”
“Ah, trees are the worst, asides they take forever ta do even if ye use magic,”
“Oh, so maybe I’ll make some of those flowers my mom likes. What are they called again? Orchids? Yeah, I think they’re orchids.”
“Those are rather difficult to keep alive. You’ll need to work your way up to it, I’m afraid.”
“Okay, then! I’ll practice so I can get good enough to make one. I’m sure I can do it if I try hard.”
“Now, you’ll find it’s harder to make a flower bloom from a seed or a sprout then it is from a bud that was about to open anyway”
“Is that so?”
“Try growing these sprouting daffodils and you’ll see what I mean.” She moved a pot with thin green leaves sprouting up near the soil that almost looked like short blades of grass. Putting an open hand over top of one it grew taller and former a slender bud that opened into a ruffled blossom. “You’ll notice that sometimes potted plants don’t bloom when they should. That’s because they didn’t get the right amount of nutrients, or the temperature was wrong. You have to keep all those things in mind when you try to grow a plant or it won’t bloom either. If you’re not careful, it may wither and die as well.” She put her hand over a different sprout that grew up tall, but made no buds and began to brown on its edges. Suddenly the task seemed daunting.
Taika looked down at the pitiful greens coming out of the soil. Normally they were some of the first flowers to come up in the spring. Sometimes climbing through the thin snow that occasionally accumulated during Biminey’s mild winters. She racked her brain to try and think of anything about daffodils that might help her.
“Don’t over think things, either. It probably won’t do you any good. The best way to learn is to practice, so just go ahead.”
“A-alright” she was quite worried about messing up, but set about doing what she did to the chrysanthemum anyway. The leaves started the climb up taller out of the soil, fanning out as they went. Startled, she almost fell over again, but maintained her composure. It kept growing larger, but the stalks that would have supported a flower never grew. Disconsolate, her face sank.
“Ah, very good, dearie. Keep that up and you’ll be making flowers in no time.” Pendleton laid a hand on the girl, “This is a very complicated technique and it’ll take years to master, but I knew you were ready to start now.”
“So, I can get better at it later,” she seemed optimistic again.
“It’ll take some trial and error, but yes, I have confidence in you.”
“eh, if ye need some pointers I ken help ye best I can,”
“Thank you, Mr. Digby, you’re very kind.”
Just then Faron padded in from the backdoor, not noticing them at first. “Oh hey, there you are” she said walking over to them. Her usual button down shirt was gone and replaced by a grubby and faded t-shirt. “I was looking for you.”
“You finished helping Mrs. Joiner?”
“Yep, the chain was just broken on her kid’s bike, so it was easy to fix. Then I had time to change the oil in her neighbor’s car for em and they even gave me lunch too. It was pretty sweet. “She wiped some sweat from her brow, pushing back her sticky bangs, “so whatcha up to?”
“Growing plants!” Taika said cheerily.
“Givin’ Digby a run for his money, eh?”
“Not really, it’s actually pretty hard to do.”
“Oh ho?” she raised an eyebrow. “Lemme give it a try den.” Pluncking her bottom down, she scooted over to them. Looking down to another daffodil sprout, it grew tall and a stalk formed that produced an atrocious looking flower. “Yeah, I got nothing.”
“But that’s better than I did.” Taika asserted.
“Oh, but I cheated. I’ve done this before. And besides, I’m twice your age. You’ll show me up soon enough.”
“Hey you’re just trying to make me feel better!” she pouted.
“It’s a possibility,”
“Don’t patronize me like that. I can take it.”
“Can you take it? You a big man, Taika?”
“Yeah!” She put her hands on her hips proudly. Pendleton burst out laughing at this and the rest fallowed suit.
“So, have you figured out what you’re going to wear tonight, Faron?” Thelma asked after overcoming her fit of laughter.
“Not really, I’m just gonna make something up. “
“I’ll probably be doing the same. Just be sure to make something nice enough. I am the guest of honor tonight.” She didn’t seem thrilled with the concept.
“Right, wouldn’t wanna disgrace you any more than I already have,eh?” She laughed some more, “Not that I’ll be spending too much time with dem socialites.” Taika was looking disgruntled about the conversation. “You can hang out with me tonight, if ya want.”
“I’m supposed to visit with my grandparents,” she grumbled.
“You don’t have to spend the whole evening wif ‘em. Asides, I can just tell ‘em I got cha lost or somefin.”
“Alright,” she had a hint of a devious smile.
“Well now that that’s settled, I’m off to have a shower and get ready!” Faron snapped back up and bounded to the door, but before she could go back in a man similar to the one who had helped Faron with the luggage before came around the corner to speak with her.”Did you find little Annie’s cat?” she asked him casually.
“Yes, Freckles is home safe and sound.”
“Very good! Then you are dispatched my good sir.” She saluted him and he disappeared on the spot.
Taika looked on admiringly at the sight. “How about we eat our lunch and get ready too?” Pendleton offered, standing back up. “It’s a big night tonight.”
Tonight was the night of the summer solstice, which was a holiday in Biminey and Brant. It’s a celebration borrowed from the centaurs, native creatures of the plains, which were observed partying wildly on the longest day of each year. It was a time when gnomes cowered in their homes and tried to avoid being trampled beneath the drunken revelry. In Port of Opportunity it was an occasion for everyone to gather downtown and dance and celebrate even after the sun goes down. It’s the biggest day of the year for high society, and Pendleton had been invited as a guest of honor to the most prestigious party in town. She was attending out of courtesy, as she usually liked to life her life in obscurity.

A few hours later the complicated affair of getting ready for the evening began. Faron had decided to make up their formal wear on the spot, in lieu of actually wearing anything nice, which, as a matter of course, meant making countless iterations of clothing that Taika couldn’t tell apart, but was asked to judge anyway. Thelma did much the same, but didn’t bother to ask Taika her opinion, knowing the child’s distaste of such things.
“Ooh you know what’d be cute!” Faron exclaimed, changing the pattern on her vest yet again, “We should totally match up our outfits,”
“That would be darling,” the old woman said brightly.
Taika groaned. Just when she thought they might be finished they were going to start all over again. To make matters worse Molly was trying desperately to get onto her lap and shed fur all over her dress. Her grandparents had gotten it for her to wear to the formal occasions they were always taking her to, whether she wanted to go or not. It was made of silk, and as such was prone to getting catches and collecting stray hairs. She supposed that it looked alright, considering people were always telling her how cute she looked in it. As she leaned over exacerbated, the cat pawed at the strand of pearls that dangled from her neck.
“That should be about right.” Pendleton said with a tone of finality that got the girl’s attention. She looked up. They had altered the colors of their clothing to match the blue color of Taika’s dress with orange accents to mimic her bright hair. Faron was wearing a suit, as was the style then, and Thelma had on a strange sort of robe, the design of which she thought would please her host, but wasn’t particularly accurate as far as the clothing a Great Wizard would wear.
Taika hopped up and went over o the mirror with them. “Daw, don we look nice now?” Faron said clapping her on her shoulder.
“The uniformity is very nice,” Taika smiled up at her, looking for approval.
“Man, whya gotta nerd everything up, eh?” she laughed to herself.
“So then does that mean we can go now?”
“Yes, I suppose it does…” No sooner had the words left Pendleton’s mouth than Taika was at the door waiting to leave. In the street there was already a muddle of excitement and the old downtown was bustling with excitement by the time they arrived. The air hung, drenched with humidity and baking with heat. Mosquitoes floated in buzzing clouds, with more people around then they could possibly bite. The sun beat down, high in the cloudless sky, and the only breeze was an occasion gust from the East trumpeting in the arrival of an overnight storm. On any other day no one would have wanted to be outside, but today was special.
The streets were awash with giddy people as they made their way up to their destination. The atmosphere was pleasant, and Taika found herself grinning broadly at the feeling of it all. They reached the home that was housing the gala, one that dated back to the cities founding. Filigreed and molded, it made quite an impression. It was taller than it was wide, squeezed between other similar homes to either side, but massive nonetheless. A few stone steps led up to the grand front doors that were propped widely open, spilling cool air into the street outside. A man stood to one side of the opening, behind a guestbook on a stand. He wore a tuxedo of sorts, even in the blistering heat, and seemed to be trying to hide his discomfort.
“Your name please, Madam?” he said haughtily looking down his nose at the woman.
“Thelma Pendleton”
He scanned his papers without moving his head until he spotted her name on the list. “Delighted at your arrival, Master Pendleton,” He said with a short bow from the waist, “as well as yours,” he addressed the young women standing next to her. Taika fumbled over a small curtsey in response.
“Right this way, Master,” said another similarly dressed man from just inside. They followed him through the tall carved wooden doors and into the immaculate anteroom which had a runner on the floor that lead to the ballroom up another couple of steps and through another set of double doors, glass pained this time. Off to the side there were several other closed doorways presumably leading into the home itself, and one that was clearly marked as the powder room. The ceiling went up all the way to the top of the building so you could look down from the upper levels and see the magnificent crystal chandelier hanging from the ceiling that sent light dancing about wildly. Armless chairs were strewn about the room, most obviously brought in from other parts of the house. Everything was decorated in an ornamental old world style that was uncommon to see in the rest of the country. The atmosphere was instantly changed from outside. It became instantly stuffy, still, and pretentious.
The ballroom itself was wide and spectacular, with light spilling in every which way from the numerous picture windows as well as the small rows of glass near the ceiling that resembled a clerestory. It set everything a wash in a golden hue. The areas near the odd stained glass window stood in a purple haze that stood in stark contrast to the rest of the room. Tables were set up all around the edges of the room. From the street it was unimaginable that such a large room could be inside such a cramped looking building. People were milling about from table to table as the festivities would not actually begin for several more hours.
The attendant led them all the way across the room to an important looking table with only a few of its many seats filled.
“Feel free to go after I introduce you,” Pendleton said to them on the sly. “Just be back for when dinner starts at eight.” Faron made a nod of recognition and Taika just kept looking about as before.
“Master Pendleton to see you,” the attendant said stiffly, bowing as he backed away to return to his post at the door. The seated people rose upon hearing their introduction and approached them with hands extended.
An older gentleman, dressed in the garb of a bygone era addressed them, “I’m so glad you could make it here Master Pendleton. It’s an honor to have such a prestigious guest as yourself here this evening.” He clasped Thelma’s hand with both of his.
“You’re far too kind,” she said obligingly.
“No, no,” he waved down the idea, “oh and are these your apprentices then, hmm?”
“Yes! This is my newer student, Faron Harding,” she half pushed her toward the man and all but disappeared behind her large frame. “Faron’s been with me for nearly three years now, but before that she was living across the river in Waterton. Faron, this is Mr. Bernard, he’s the one who invited us here tonight.” He seemed disgruntled upon hearing she was from Waterton.
She shook his hand forcefully, noticing his disdain for her hometown, taking him off guard. “Nice ta meet cha Mr. Bernard,” she spoke with an exaggerated brogue and slapped him on the back amicably.
“Ah, y-yes well you too.” He cleared his throat. “and please do say hello to my wife Patricia.” He gestured toward the opulently dressed and pleasant woman next to him whom Faron shook hands with, “and my son Andrew,” he said in reference to a bored and embarrassed looking young man sitting at the table. She simply tipped her head slightly to him with a look that said she understood.
“And this is my other student, Taika Rostova. I’ve been teaching her since she was just a baby.” Thelma put her arm around the girl.
“The Freeman’s granddaughter?”
“Yes, one and the same.”
“Nice to meet you, sir.” She said quietly, putting her hand in his weakly.
“And you as well. Would you give your grandparents my regards?”
“Certainly,” she wasn’t sure why that was necessary if they were going to be here tonight anyway.
“Mr. Bernard is a very important person in the financial sector,” Thelma said informatively.
“Is that so?” Faron said feigning a great interest.
“Why yes! It just so happens that…” he bloviated on enthusiastically about himself when Taika came to realize that Faron was not there anymore. Looking around conspicuously as she knew she was not being watched, she spied Faron sitting backward in the chair of the next table over, seeming to be listening intently.
“Our earnings were much larger than expected last quarter leading the way for us to…” when she glanced back at where Faron was sitting she was gone again, moved to another table even farther away, but in the exact same position. Meeting Taika’s glance, she signaled for the girl to come over to her. With fading trepidation Taika went over to her.
“C’mon let’s get outta here.” Faron insisted. She turned back to see if anyone had noticed their absence, but Mr. Bernard was continuing to ramble on obliviously. Master Pendleton was looking at him with a blankly serene expression without reverence to the conversation. She caught Taika looking at her and smiled encouragingly as she always did. Mr. Bernard’s son Andrew was at the pair as they made their escape from the ballroom.
They returned outside and were once again bombarded by the moist heat of the day punctuated by warm breezes that blew in from the East. From their vantage point they could see the countless stalls and stands set up around the open square. People were selling crafts and snacks, selkies hocking fresh fish. Several gnomes were out selling potted plants, and one was scuttling about in front of the stand with a butterbur leaf over its head like a parasol. In the distance the edge of a Ferris wheel was visible through the haze. The noise of the crowd seemed to have grown in the few minutes they were absent.
“The nerve a that guy,” Faron said hotly, “Ya see his face when e heard I was from Waterton? Pfft I ken jus tell e’s a dem rich bast- uh jerks that thinks they’re better then all a us from across the river.” Waterton was the sister city of Port of Opportunity, lying just across the Orange River that serves as the border between the tiny country of Biminey and the much larger Brant. Brant had kept Waterton as part of the secession deal it made with Biminey, but never made much of an effort to take care of it. Many people in the Port thought of Waterton as a slum, and the people in it uncultured, in no small part because of their emblematic way of speaking.
Faron let out a large sigh and started to walk into the crowd. Taika stayed close to Faron, reproachful of the strange people around. There was no one here she knew, so it was useless to strain about looking through the crowd like Faron was. She seemed to be moving purposefully although Taika didn’t know where to. Everyone outside was dressed up, but just what that entailed varied greatly, especially when it came to the cities many immigrants. Seeing someone wearing the traditional formal wear of Ulkoneva reminded the girl of her other grandfather, who had emigrated from the country during a time of turmoil. His daughter was away now, perhaps in trouble, perhaps embroiled in the very conflict he had fled. But Taika hadn’t thought of him. She felt a pang of remorse, considering today he was all alone in the city too.
“Something the matter?” Faron asked in response to her sudden gloomy demeanor.
“Pardon? Oh, uh, it’s nothing.” She didn’t think Faron would understand. She was so unlike her in some ways…
“Awright, have it your way,” she looked forward again and kept on walking. “just about there now,”
“Where are we going anyway?”
“I’m takin ya down to the street performers like I said.”
“I don’t recall you mentioning anything about that, but it sounds nice.”
“I ain’t never said nothing? Damn, musta slipped my mind.” She chuckled to herself, “any old how, I thought you’d like it. ‘Sides I’m meetin up with my friends there.”
They emerged from a cramped alleyway into another open square, outside the ritzy neighborhood and nearer to the University. Every inch of the clearing seemed to be teaming with life. Stages rose up from the ground with rickety bleachers surrounded them. In between these structures stalls and stands were wedged, along with barely visible clearings where performers stood alone. The tall platforms all around cast long dark shadows that cut across the crowds. Excitement and laughter rang out, intensified by the thousands.
“Wanna get some lemonade?” Faron offered, “It’s so hot out here my ass is sweatin, and I don’t need ya havin a heat stroke on me.”
“Sure,” lemonade from vendors always tasted better than the kind she tried to make. She figured it probably had something to do with the ratio of lemon juice to water, or perhaps something to do with agitation…
There was a fair amount of hubbub around the stand and it soon became apparent that they were going to have to wait a bit. As they were doing so, Faron prattling on about something and Taika lost in her own thoughts, a voice seemed to standout among all the others. Someone was shouting Faron’s name. Taika turned to look and two people seemed to be making their way over to them. Two people who bore a striking resemblance to Faron herself.
“Fallon, Carol, what are you doing here?” Faron said in a mixture of surprise and delight.
“We came here to see you, dummy. I toll Hilary ta tell ya,” said the young man.
“I guess that’s what we get fer trustin him, eh?” the young lady chimed in.
“yeah, Hil’s an even bigger idiot than me, eh” Faron laughed. “Taika, this is my baby sister Fallon and my littlest brother Carol. I’m sure ya hardly recognize em.” Faron was the oldest of seven children. She had five brothers that Taika could never tell apart. All of the siblings looked very similar with brown hair, bright eyes, and an exaggerated stature.
“Oh, forgive me, you’re just so much taller than when I saw you last,” Taika said, astonished.
“Story a my life, eh?” Carol cajoled. “You ain’t any taller though, eh? Still cute as a button,” He patted her on the head chidingly, because he was only a couple of years older than her and yet already as tall as his older sister. Fallon was barely a year older than Taika, but people already mistook her for an adult.
“How’d yous guys get ov’r here? The subway must be packed today.”
“We took Evelyn’s motorbike. It was real pretty crossin tha bridge, even if it was kinda slow.”
“Oh yeah? Does he know ya got his bike?”
“I said somefin to ‘im, but he prolly wasn’t paying attention. Prolly too busy thinkin’ bout getting drunk tonight.”
“If he does get drunk give im a good smack for me, eh? He can’t afford ta lose any brain cells.”
“Yeah, sure,” Fallon giggled, “I’ve been havin ta do all the smackin since you’ve been gone. Cept it ain’t quite the same when I do it.”
Taika looked on at them joking together. The idea of having so many people close to her was foreign to the girl, and in a way she yearned for that feeling of camaraderie and familiarity that was so apparent with them.
Faron walked over and gave her the lemonade she had come to forget about. The paper cup was slick with condensation and the chill of the cup jolted her momentarily as she clasped it. It was then that heat seemed to become apparent to her. She was too busy thinking of other things to notice it before. She took a greedy swig of the icy beverage and felt the chill go down her chest as she swallowed. Following the other’s lead she put the cool side of the cup against her sweaty forehead. She had the distinct feeling she wasn’t doing it right, however.
“Well, I’m suppose ta be mettin ma friends around here somewhere,” Faron said, beads of perspiration rolling down the sides of her face. “Why don’t choo three go figure out what you wanna see while I find em, eh?”
“Sure thing,” here brother responded, and Taika watched her disappear into the mass of people.
“So’s my sister bein good ta ya? She ain’t givin you a hard time or nothing, is she?” Fallon inquired.
“Uh, no, she’s really been very nice to me.”
“That’s good ta hear! So ya doin okay being here without yer mom and dad?”
“It’s,” she paused, “alright I guess.”
“You make any new friends yet? Since you’ll be livin here and all.”
“I haven’t really talked to anyone yet.”
“Aw, c’mon, that won’t do!” she patted her on the back gruffly, “I’m sure you’ll make lottsa friends if you just try. There’s all kinds of you, uh, cerebral types round here, for sure at that new school you’ll be goin to.”
“Well, some of my old friends from the Cape are going to be moving here soon to go to the school as well…”
“Ah, so you won’t be by yourself then, eh?”
“No, not at all”
“Then we won’t have ta worry bout cha havin a hard time?”
“I should be okay,” she smiled up at them. Taika was a bit embarrassed to realize she hadn’t thought about making any new friends since arriving in town. Her mind had been elsewhere.
“That’s a relief!” Carol remarked, “But if you do run inta any trouble just tell us.”
“Yeah, we’ll show dem punks a thing or two!”
“Um alright,” she laughed nervously, which caused the pair to break into thunderous laughter. She didn’t quite get it, but she laughed along anyway.
“Come on then, let’s go figure out what we’re gonna do,” It was difficult for Taika to keep up with the two while walking. They went faster than her and any gap in the crowd was quickly filled, or so it seemed. Voices boomed about from all directions and upon the senses unceasingly.
They were there in time to catch the start of several plays, which they had chosen to watch in lieu of the sundry street performers who were beginning to set up. You could sit in the shade while watching a play, after all, and temperature was a paramount concern at the moment. The university drama club was a putting on a play, a satirical version of an old fairytale. It starred some friends of Faron’s, or at least friends of friends, and so they went to see it.
Creaking wooden seats surrounded the little stage in a half circle, an attempt to preserve a semblance of acoustics. Starched and faded canopies were stretched above to the heat and light beaming down upon them. Several handfuls of other college-aged people were scattered about in little groups on the bleachers, whispering to each other gaily. In the center people were still scrambling about to set up the backdrops and a costumed thespian would occasionally amble out, only to slip backstage once more.
The production began shakily, the actors uncomfortably shouting their lines at one another. One in a gaudy fairy suit missed their cue completely and Faron yelled out some comical words of encouragement in a way that was both enduring and slightly obnoxious. Taika didn’t understand most o f the jokes, but everyone else was laughing and she had a feeling they were some manner of “mature” jokes. Nevertheless she enjoyed herself and the shoddy play, forgetting about the incessant buzz of insects and clammy heat for the time being. She was happy just to be able to be around other people, doing something normal, and not having to think about the troubles of her future.
An intermission came about and Taika decided to go and stretch her legs and maybe go and use the restroom, not that she knew where one was. Getting down from the bleachers was a much easier task than going up them for her. Taika could jump down safely from nearly any height through a method Master Pendleton had taught her. She simply had to hit the ground going slowly, and at the right angle and she would be fine. Doing so felt rather unnatural, as things often do, and gave one an odd sensation in the legs after landing from such a height. Taika liked to fancy herself a cat landing on its feet.
Once she was down it became rather difficult for her to tell where she was going on account of everyone being taller than her. She wandered forward, her mind now turned to thoughts about the questionably construction of the bleachers, but then flitting about lazily from one notion to the next. In a trance she padded along slowly, barely taking in her surroundings when quite suddenly something caught her eye. In front of her was a peculiar pair of hands, unthinkingly she moved closer and closer to them until they were nearly under her nose. Their skin was lumpy and rough looking, the fingers curling and thin. On the end of each slender finger prehistoric looking claws jutted out and curved around almost delicately. These hands were so familiar, but where had she seen them? They were so strange. Where could she- Then she realized. They looked just like the hands that had taken her parents away. She felt a sinking deep in her stomach, a lump in her throat. What were these hands doing here? What did they belong to? Promptly she snapped back to her senses, noticing the hands were folded in front of a massive feathered body, the head of which was so high up she had to lift her chin to see it.
When Taika looked up she met the gaze of two eagle eyes, big and round as saucers, looking down at her like a hawk sizing up its prey. Involuntarily she made a noise before looking back down and turning tail. She nearly broke into a run, and, for what could be the first time in her life, felt unable to understand the information laid out before her. Squeezing her eyes shut images and ideas floated through her head like in a maelstrom until she found herself at a standstill. She had run straight into something, no someone, someone warm and very…squishy?
“There you are!” Faron’s voice reverberated against her ear. “I figured maybe leavin ya alone wouldn’t be the best idea, you know, since you’re not feelin so great n’ all. Are you okay? Y’ain’t feelin sick are ya?” She lifted the girl’s head out of her chest and put her hand on her forehead to check her temperature, and then pressed Taika’s head back against herself protectively.
Taika pulled herself together and took a step back. “I wasn’t watching where I was going and I ran into someone,” this wasn’t really untrue, “I think it might have been a buteon.” She said, figuring it out as she spoke, “Yes, I’m quite certain that’s what it was.”
“A buteon, eh?” Faron said flatly. She put a hand over her brow and rocked forward on her heels, scanning the crowd. “Where could it be?” Without warning she jumped straight up, nearly sending Taika careening over in surprise. It was just enough time for her to catch sight of the creature, a buteon, a race of people from the mountains that closely resembled terrifyingly large hawks. “Ah well, whaddya know, there’s two right there. Must be here to see the festival. There’s all sorts a people out here today. You know I sawr a capuman here too?”
“Really? I’ve never seen one of them before. I’ve just heard Master Pendleton talk about them. Was it very cute? Did it have a little tail?” Taika was glad to change the subject.
“Yeah, yeah, I jus sawr it for a second though. I’ll tell ya if I see one again, eh?”
“Oh please do,” Taika tried to seem carefree, but the discovery she had just made quickly crept back into her consciousness. She grimaced in agitation.
“Is anything else bothering you?”
“No, I was just thinking about something. That’s all.” What good would telling Faron about her new suspicion do right now? “I’ll tell you about it later.” She tried to look upbeat.
“You sure? Cause I could find us some place quiet to talk if ya want.”
“It’s fine, really.” She knew she wasn’t fooling Faron.
“Alright, have it your way.”
They returned to their show and later back to dinner where they danced well past the late sunset to the sound of a booming big band. Then they watched the fireworks relight the newly extinguished sky. But all the while the specter of worry loomed over Taika’s thoughts no matter how hard she tried to chase it away.

© Copyright 2009 Cheep (UN: cheep at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cheep has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/656245-Chapter-3