*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/661854-539-words-2nd-August-2009
by Wybo
Rated: 18+ · Book · Activity · #1580806
This is my daily writing book. The idea being to write at least 500 words a day. Come one!
#661854 added August 2, 2009 at 2:41am
Restrictions: None
539 words 2nd August 2009
The singing was bad enough but when the trumpets started he decided he’d have to get up and try and shut them up. He leaned out of the window and looked around, trying to locate the source. It seemed to be coming from out in the woods, though he couldn’t see anything. He decided to go down there and remonstrate rather than shouting from his window and risk waking his Grandmother.


         He dressed quickly not bothering to find clean clothes, just putting on those he’d thrown own last night. The sun was just rising but it as very early and he was furious that he’d been woken. He struggled to sleep and needed it more than ever today with the competition.


As he neared the woods he heard laughter and clapping and realised there must be an audience. He slowed down as he approached them and listened to what they were saying. The music had stopped for now. It was then that he recognised one fo the voce, it was Harold, his brother. He’d not seen him since he went to Russia and he knew straight away that this was his way of saying hello, I’m back.


As he came upon them, as expected Harold was standing facing him and waiting with a huge smile on his face.


‘Took your time brother.’


‘I was asleep you bugger.’


‘Not now eh?’ You need to get up earlier Federico, this is the best time of the day you know?’


They embraced and Federico held his brothers head in his hands and looked him in the eye.


‘Why are you here?’


‘Nice greeting.’


‘You know what I mean. I thought you’d be on your way with the President now. Has anything happened?’


‘No, no. Everything’s fine. I’ve got some time off that’s all. I wanted to come and see you and the family before I go.


Federico was suspicious. Harold had never been sentimental and often seemed to be completely oblivious to others feelings. Not deliberately but nevertheless. The idea of him coming back like this seemed unusual to say the least. He knew he wouldn’t’ be able to get a any more out of him at the moment though.


‘Come, lets go and eat, bring your friends, we’ll find food.’


‘NO no. They’re not staying are you?’


As he said this, the crowd and the trumpet players began to move off into the woods waving as they left.


‘Who are they anyway?’


‘I hired them, from the Town. They do special occasions weddings birthdays, homecomings at the crack of dawn, that sort of thing.’


Federico whacked his brother on the back then pulled him towards the house. They walked hand in hand, Harold talking about Russia, the women and the food, Federico asking more and more questions.


When they reached the house they heard someone in the kitchen. As they walked in their Grandmother was making pancakes and there was an enormous pot of coffee on the table.


‘Grandmother?’ said Federico. ‘What are you doing up? You knew about this didn’t you?’


He looked at Harold who was grinning.


‘Of course dear, ‘ said his Grandmother. ‘You don’t think Harold would dare do something like this without telling me do you?’

















** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **





Steve Wybourn





** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

© Copyright 2009 Wybo (UN: wybell at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wybo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/661854-539-words-2nd-August-2009