*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/688628-Miserere-Nobis
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1631466
"Still defying fortune's spite; revive from ashes and rise."
#688628 added February 25, 2010 at 2:06pm
Restrictions: None
Miserere Nobis
((The Music))
This was the first hymn I learned to sing outside of church, in an honor choir for the county I was living in. This, in a way, was the song that had me fall in love with Latin. It was such a long time ago (for me), yet I always fall back to this song when I feel the world is tipping off it's axis. There is a comfort there. The old words of desperation, crying out to God for peace. Miserere Nobis literally means "Have mercy on us." The version I'm currently listening to is sung by Oleksa Lozowchuk. Truly beautiful.

((The Life))
The life of a dear friend is slowly fading from the world. She is 88.

Her life is one of many ups and downs, but through them all she had come out ahead. She born and raised through the first World War, and voluntarily joined to the forces to combat second. J was a teacher and principal for many years, going to places where others feared to tread.

She is a light and joy, who tolerates no-nonsense or misplace sentimentality. She has the ability to see right into the heart of a person. Her faith brought her through to the toughest of times - cancer, blindness, and even her dementia. J has just grown tired, and it is time for her to move on to a better place.

I'll go see her soon. To be honest, I'm not sure what to expect. She was a fragile little woman when I first met her some five years ago. Now, I don't believe she can make it out of her bed due to the bowel obstruction. The doctors give her a few days. They say she's in no pain. I can only hope and pray.

The tears have come and gone, and come once more since I've found out. Last night I walked around listlessly not quite sure what I could do. She's surrounded by her family, and she is comfortable. I can only hope her passing is a smooth transition. My one biggest fear is that she's in pain.

I've lost loved ones before. I've lost friends suddenly and not-so suddenly. It never makes it any easier. It never makes the loss anymore easier to bear.

I cannot help but wonder if J is happy with the life she led. Some many things accomplished, yet I never got to ask her if there was anything else she still wanted to do. She is an original. I'd like to think she can feel satisfied with everything she saw and did.

June.
A one-of-a-kind lady.
There will never be any like you after you're gone.
*Heart*

© Copyright 2010 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/688628-Miserere-Nobis