*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/706826-So-far-away
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#706826 added September 23, 2010 at 4:27pm
Restrictions: None
So far away
ME:

So far away... Eureka feels like it's at the end of the world. 8 hour ride taking 4 buses from Redding to get here (a total of 8 buses from Monroe, WA). The highway through the mountains is winding and treacherous. The Trinity River gorge is beautiful but I didn't get any good pictures out the bus window.

3 hours in Weaverville at the Mamma Llama (in the Eder Building, 1854, first brick structure in town) convinced me that I might like to spend a couple days in that old gold-rush town. Spoke to someone who lives "Down River"; one gets the impression the this is an area of hill-folk. Quite isolated in many ways.

And then there is Arcata! Not there but a few minutes and someone was asking me about pot... it is quasi legal here and folks are open about it. Montana has alcohol and in the rural areas, meth. Humboldt County has marijuana ...and I suspect, meth. Looking at the faces in the local bus, I knew I wasn't in Kansas anymore, nor was I in Montana.

Peaceful at Anabel's and Richard's. Nice to see Anya last night. She's a sweet child. *Delight* Anabel is getting around much better (or as she would say 'beeter') than in January. The foot surgery was successful and she improves weekly.

I collapsed last night. So tired. Don't think it was all from traveling. Stress is a killer. I could tell you an amusing story about the bathtub... *Rolleyes* but I'd rather focus on the smell of jasmine permeating that room. *Delight*

And then there is the voice of Carol King in my head, "So far away..."
20,029

© Copyright 2010 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/706826-So-far-away