*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/709724-Chapter-Three
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Shawn
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1720449
An ancient immortal wishes to tell his story.
#709724 added October 29, 2010 at 5:22pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Three
Chapter 3

         As Groud had suspected, Thorgrum wanted something from Sigmund.  The reason for his invitation was the idea of joining the two kingdoms into one.  When asked how this was supposed to be done he proposed a marriage between Sigmund and Fretta, his youngest daughter.
         Sigmund stroked the braids of his hair.  It was a gesture that told Groud that he was seriously thinking that this idea was a good one.  Wishing to buy some time for his comrade to think without seeming rude by excusing themselves for private talk and at the same time telling him how he felt about the situation, he interrupted the silence.
         “May I speak on a matter not of this subject, King Thorgrum?”
         The king, having no idea how the two men worked together, gave a nod of consent.
         “It is my intention to take a young warrior for training,” at the mention of this Gunter sat up straight.
         “Does this mean that you are interested in the boy here,” asked Thorgrum with a gesture of his hand in the direction of Gunter.
         “I think the young man will make a fine warrior and leader of men if given the proper guidance.” After saying this he looked at Sigmund who showed he understood by no longer stroking his braids.  His mind was now set.
         Thorgrum looked at his grandson.  It was clear what his answer would be.  The mist in his eyes betrayed his memories.
         “Gunter,” he began, “of this man I approve.  Your father would be proud and your mother will miss you.  Will you accept Groud as your master?”
         Gunter, who had not taken his eager eyes off of his grandfather since Groud’s question, looked nervously at the man who could help him to fulfill his dream, then at Sigmund (who nodded his approval), and back to his grandfather.  He then stood and asked for his grandfather’s blessing.
         Thorgrum pointed to the wall behind him upon which was hung three swords.  Gunter walked, not too swiftly, to the wall and removed the middle blade and took it to the only man he had ever known as a father.
         “This blade belonged to your father and his father and his father who made it.  I’m sure it will be proud to serve you as well.”  The mist in the old man’s eyes turned into a single tear.  All who were present knew that the king was proud to see his grandson accepted as a student.
         Groud took the sword offered to him, even though it stood almost as tall as he, faced Groud and jammed the blade down as hard as he could into the wood floor.  He looked directly into the eyes of Groud and said as bravely as he could, “By the sword of my ancestors, I accept you as my master.”
         Sigmund took hold of his drinking horn to acknowledge the young, new apprentice, “A warrior with more courage I have never known.  It is a wise decision to choose him as your master.  He will teach you well.  I salute you.”
         When the conversation of marriage was continued, Sigmund was not without questions, “What would you gain from this union?”
         “I have no sons to call my own,” began Thorgrum.  “I have only daughters.  While they are strong women in their own ways, they are not sons.  They can raise children, but not rule the land.  Because of this I am resigned to their children being my heirs.
         “It has been foretold that my youngest daughter, Fretta,” he motioned to the chamber maid that served Sigmund that morning, “will have a son who will be a savior of the people and champion to the gods.  I can think of no better man to father that child than you.  You have achieved much where others have failed.  When the two of us are called to Valhalla our lands will fall under his rule, thus uniting our people to make them whole once more.”
© Copyright 2010 Shawn (UN: siguerd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Shawn has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/709724-Chapter-Three