*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/734550-Review-of-Dan-Simmons-FLASHBACK-2011
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1342524
Reading, Writing, Pondering: Big Life Themes, Literature, Contemporary/Historical Issues
#734550 added September 20, 2011 at 9:20am
Restrictions: None
Review of Dan Simmons' FLASHBACK (2011)
Review of “Flashback,” Dan Simmons (2011)





Much of science fiction's post-apocalyptic view revolves around nuclear holocausts and nuclear winter, and this has been the case since the 1950's. Some very good novels in this genre, though, examine the collapse of civilisations rather than simply the decimation of the human population. Dan Simmons' newest novel, “Flashback,” is an exceptional and glorious example-a premise that is frighteningly possible, and all too probable.





         Mr. Simmons capably bases his “New World” on historical and present events up through our own time. Set in about the mid-2030's (several times “the first third” of the 21st century is mentioned), the collapse of civilisations and the absorption of much of the globe by militant Islam unfolds with clarity from the mistakes and sheer ignorance of the recent past. Without blaming any one particular individual, political party, or group, Author Simmons makes clear that the road to destruction is smoothly paved, indeed greased, with the denial of all of us.





         Yet murmuring over lost civility is not the sole focus of this novel. A massive cast of characters is ably juggled, and even the “bad guys” seem, if not approachable, at least comprehensible. As for plot lines, Mr. Simmons is a past master at constructing them and bringing them to conclusion; and he is one of the few authors I've read who can also juggle timelines without confusing either the reader or himself. I recommend “Flashback” as an extraordinary must-read for any adult with a modicum of literacy, for high schools and universities, for politicians and cultural magnates-for anyone who fancies himself in control of our global, national, cultural, and personal future.






© Copyright 2011 Cobwebs-In-Space Reindeer (UN: fantasywrider at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cobwebs-In-Space Reindeer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/734550-Review-of-Dan-Simmons-FLASHBACK-2011