*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/739797
by spidey
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1819881
NaNo 2011 - memoir about my past jobs and my current job search
#739797 added November 18, 2011 at 2:35pm
Restrictions: None
Journal, November 6, 2011
One word: Liars.

I was laid off from my last job due to “lack of work.” That’s what I was told when I was “let go.” They assured me they were not hiring anyone else, so imagine my surprise when I saw their ad in the classified section today that they’re looking for another Administrative Secretary. What a bunch of liars. I’m glad I don’t work there if that’s how they run their office.

Thing is, I already knew they were liars. I was laid off, which entitles me to collect unemployment again while I look for another job. It was through no fault of my own that I lost my job, according to what they told me on my last day. I filed for unemployment, but my payments were delayed to an “issue” according to the Unemployment Compensation website. Soon after, I got a letter in the mail explaining that the job was now stating I lost my job due to “willful misconduct.” This was news to me! In the letter, it stated that I would be getting a questionnaire to fill out and explain my side of it, that a decision hadn’t been made yet.

The day after I sent in the questionnaire, I already received a response from the unemployment office, explaining that: 1. I lost my job due to inadequate job performance (which, again, was news to me), and that 2. I worked to the best of my ability. It was due to that last one that I was still able to collect unemployment compensation. They couldn’t say that I didn’t do my best (or I suppose I could have sued them).

My issue with what they’re saying is that when I was hired (and several times after that), I was told the job would take months to learn. I believe it was four weeks until they laid me off, and again, they told me it was due to lack of work and they assured me they weren’t hiring anyone to replace me. Now all of a sudden, they decide they need to hire someone new?

To be fair, maybe someone else quit working at the office, and they’re replacing them and not me. If someone did quit, I can’t say I blame them. If I hadn’t been laid off, I don’t think I would have stayed there very long myself, or I would have become miserable staying there if this is the way they treat people.

Okay, I have had time to think about the situation, and while it still irks me, I’m able to move on. This is the trouble I have with the working world, though. I want to believe that people are good and genuine. I want to believe that people are naturally decent at heart, so when I get betrayed by people, it really hurts me. And it makes me question my decision to enter the business world, honestly. Will I be okay there? Can I survive in that world that isn’t known for its honesty? I don’t know, but I can’t know until I try.








© Copyright 2011 spidey (UN: spidergirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
spidey has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/739797