*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/748476-change-in-goals
by spidey
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1207864
If you don't have a dream, how are you going to make a dream come true?
#748476 added March 6, 2012 at 7:47pm
Restrictions: None
change in goals
I recently started weight-lifting, following the plan in this book:

ASIN: 1583333398
Amazon's Price: $ 16.43


Previously, I was consuming about 1200-1400 calories per day, running about 3 times per week, and some strength training. My issue is that I think I'm borderline hypoglycemic, and I often felt dizzy from low blood sugar.

Now, I lift heavy (heavy for me, that is) weights twice per week, and I consume 1800-2000 calories per day. I've done this for just over one month now, and my weight has stayed the same (which is my goal) and I lost half an inch from my waist!

It feels awesome not to be dizzy from under-eating! I don't think I'll ever go back to how I ate before!

The book calls for an increase in protein, about 96g for me, and a decrease in carbs. I am in no way a supporter of "low-carb" diets, even for short periods of time. I still get about 200g of carbs (as opposed to 20-50 in low-carb diets), but overall, the percentage of calories from carbs has dropped to about 40%. My diet previously was at least 50% carbs, then 25% protein and fat each.

Personally, switching to complex carbs has helped keep my blood sugar levels steady throughout the day, in addition to increasing my calorie intake. On the weekends, I sometimes slip into my old habits of eating (with white breads, donuts, chips, basically "simple" carbs), and my blood sugar spikes, then drops. I really hate the feeling of being weak, confused and irritable because my blood sugar is too low!

Part of the reason I could never do low carb (in addition to it being generally not very healthy) is that I couldn't give up fruit! One medium banana has 28g of carbs! I can't go without my morning banana! *Laugh*

I've definitely noticed an increase in strength, too. I've gone from using 5lb weights to going up to about 17lbs! The workouts are getting tough, too! I love it! There's such a sense of accomplishment and strength by completing a set of an exercise at a weight I know I couldn't do a few months ago! I love having shorter workouts that are obviously working for me.

I definitely recommend the plan in this book, though it's not for everyone. Women tend to have a problem with the idea of eating more to follow a plan, and this plan isn't necessarily for people looking to lose weight (though building muscle may ultimately lead to a loss of fat). In order to build muscle, you need to consume more calories than you're burning, which means you probably won't lose weight. The number on the scale will most likely go up, and many women can't handle that.

My original goal was to maintain my weight, but build muscle, and I'm finally doing that! I've been talking about building strength every Winter for three years now, and I'm happy I'm finally working on it!




© Copyright 2012 spidey (UN: spidergirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
spidey has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/748476-change-in-goals