*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/753706-Joe-Piscopo-Made-Me-the-Writer-I-am-Today
Rated: 13+ · Book · Comedy · #1857740
#1 Blog Item
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#753706 added April 10, 2017 at 9:28am
Restrictions: None
Joe Piscopo Made Me the Writer I am Today


After reaching the pot of gold at the end of the "writing rainbow," acknowledge all friends, teachers, siblings, pets, husbands, and dream-sequence celebrities who helped you attain your awesome writing success. Even if you miss the pot and instead fall into a vat of vino, you mustn't forget to send champagne, flowers, or a really nice gift card to entertainer, former SNL comedian, and a guy who performs a great Frank Sinatra impression:  Joe Piscopo.

In the early 1990's I was going through some rough personal times and feeling rudderless.  I worked in sales, but had always dreamed of becoming a published writer. One night I had a life-altering (and colorful!) dream. I was sitting with others at a long wooden table. I had pen in hand, head down, staring at the blank sheet of paper before me.  A very tall man--the teacher, I thought--loomed over me, then bent down and stared me in the face. Yes, it was Joe Piscopo, much larger than life and with piercing blue eyes. I heard a deep voice demand,"Why aren't you writing? People, editors, are waiting for your writing!"

I had never thought a lot about Joe, and vaguely remembered him from a comedy special.  He was pretty scary, though, and the dream and his bulging eyes, stayed on my mind for a long time.  It struck me funny, but I felt there was a message there, one I shouldn't ignore.

I thought about that dream often, then began writing with a renewed sense of confidence. I felt invigorated and determined to succeed.  Within several months, I had received my first paycheck from the Pittsburgh Trib Sunday magazine editor for a first-person essay about a world without adjectives.

And despite some setbacks along the path to the pot, I always return to writing. I cannot imagine my life without it.

Thanks Joe.

note-to-self: His eyes are brown, not blue.

© Copyright 2017 Dawsongirl (UN: danamargaret at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dawsongirl has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/753706-Joe-Piscopo-Made-Me-the-Writer-I-am-Today