*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/769283-Writing-Quickie--Daydreaming-in-Class
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1634630
Brief writing exercises and thoughts on writing. Maybe the occasional personal musing.
#769283 added December 22, 2012 at 9:46pm
Restrictions: None
Writing Quickie: Daydreaming in Class
I was too busy with other things to do any Twitter Scribbles today. However, I did get a new Writing Quickie in.


Kevin stared out the window as Professor Davies droned on about volumes of three dimensional objects. It was early spring and a pair of cardinals were building a next in the tree outside. Kevin watched them as they wove whatever bits of straw and other materials together. He wondered how they knew how to do this. Was it genetic? Was it something they learned either by observation or trial and error?

He watched as the male cardinal fluttered his brightly colored wings and took off. What would it be like to be able to fly. He imagined the freedom that must be involved, the freedom from boring lectures about complex mathematical topics. The instructor cleared his throat loudly, which startled Kevin back to the present. He looked around and blushed as he realized the whole class was looking at him.

“Well, Kevin?” the instructor said.

“I’m sorry, professor, I must have gotten lost in my own thoughts.”

“Yes, I would say so. I just asked you to come finish this problem on the board. Unless you need to confer with the birds you’ve been watching first.”

The class laughed as Kevin walked to the front of the room and took the piece of chalk offered to him.


JarredH

Give me pen and paper and I shall create entire worlds and fill them with adventures.

© Copyright 2012 JarredH (UN: seithman at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
JarredH has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/769283-Writing-Quickie--Daydreaming-in-Class