*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/781952-A-little-excitement
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1718540
Day to day stuff....a memoir without order.
#781952 added May 5, 2013 at 11:20am
Restrictions: None
A little excitement....
I love the new look here. It is making me want to get back to blogging, but I am feeling a little strange because I have not blogged for a couple of weeks...or more.

I went to my memoir class last Thursday and had two strange things happen...maybe not strange, just unusual. We were all seated ready to begin when another member came in. She was pushing a walker and went behind me to sit down at the end of the table when, yikes, as she was turning to sit down, she fell flat on her back. We all jumped up in unison in shock and surprise. She lay there for a while blinking with eyes wide open just as surprised as we were. Then a couple of us grabbed her hands, and she stiffened as we pulled her right back on her feet with seemingly no ill effects at all. She said she tripped over her own feet as she was turning to sit down. She is in her eighties and short like me but weighs more, a really nice German lady. She went on to read an interesting story she had written about her bucket list (our subject for the month) and was perfectly fine.

That is how the meeting is structured. We go around the room, read our stories, and have comments from other members. Now for the second strange thing. Another lady, also up there in age, read her story when her turn came around, not on a bucket list but about a skeleton in the closet, a supposed murder by a relative that was actually swept under the rug. I guess that happened a lot way back when. Anyway, everything went on as normal and the stories progressed on around the room until everyone had shared theirs. When all were finished, this particular lady whose name is Betty suddenly stood up and said she was going to have to leave right away because she had been having chest pain for several days. She had called her doctor (sometime before the meeting) and he had told her to get to the emergency room. Talk about dedication!

Another member went with her out to the library desk and waited while the ambulance came, checked her out, and, yes, took her to the hospital. I would never have known anything was wrong before she said something. She read normally, looked normally (to me), and was animatedly enjoying the meeting. It amazes me how some people can hide their pain...I am such a baby when I hurt.

Our "leader" emailed all of us later with an update from Betty. The doctor thought she may have had a heart attack, now she has high blood pressure, and was prescribed medication. She had a doctor's appointment scheduled in a couple of weeks and was trying to hang on till then. The things we do...hmmmm.

So, a little excitement at my memoir meeting, and now that I think back on it, I can't believe she sat through all those stories...and we even talked about George Jones' funeral just held that morning. One lady watched the entire three hour thing on CMT and went into elaborate descriptions. I would have hopped out of there at the first twinge! Guess that is what makes the world go round.....

till next time....c

© Copyright 2013 An apple a day.... (UN: biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
An apple a day.... has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/781952-A-little-excitement