*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/786343-Wildcard-Monday-Has-Monsoon-Season-Begun
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#786343 added July 8, 2013 at 10:06am
Restrictions: None
Wildcard Monday: Has Monsoon Season Begun
The July 8, 2013 prompt for "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS is
Freeze a scene from your weekend and describe it in as much sensory detail as possible.

On Sunday morning, variegated gray clouds covered the sky above Las Vegas. The clouds, ranging in color from dirty white to charcoal gray, promised a long soaking rain that would bring with it flash floods. The thunder grumbled like a person awakened from a sound sleep by someone pound on her front door. Each time the thunder boomed, I looked out the window hoping to see lightning, but the lightning did not flash close enough for me to see it.

I did not think it would rain in my neighborhood. Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, and Henderson make up one gigantic metropolitan area, so it can rain in on section while the sun will be shining in another. It did rain in my neighborhood. The raindrops were so gentle that I could not hear them hitting the cement of my driveway or the roof of the patio. I got off the couch to turn off a computer I had put into hibernation because it woke up. I looked out the window and saw a pool of water forming in my driveway. The raindrops, even those dripping from the eaves of the house, were almost invisible.

The gentle rain fell for, what seemed like, fifteen or twenty minutes. The rain and the thunder stopped about the same time. Then the clouds began to disperse moving in whatever direction the wind was blowing. The sun came out drying up the puddle of water before noon. It did not rain or thunder the rest of the day. At the time, I wondered if this was the first thunderstorm of monsoon season. After all, it is July when the moisture laden winds from the Gulf of California begin bringing rain to the southwest.

monsoon season clouds
dirty white and charcoal gray
conceal morning

July and August
monsoon season thunderstorms
bring rain and flash floods

Thought of the Day: "Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm." - Robert Louis Stevenson quotes

© Copyright 2013 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/786343-Wildcard-Monday-Has-Monsoon-Season-Begun