*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/786929-From-Pond-to-Paradise
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #1578384
You never know what you'll find - humor, ramblings, rants, randomness- it's all me!
#786929 added July 17, 2013 at 11:55am
Restrictions: None
From Pond to Paradise
So I bought a house at Christmas time. Love it! The backyard has a pool with a surrounding deck and plenty of running room for Betty (my son's dog and best friend). The slight problem is/was the former owners did not put a cover on the pool during the off season. I really wasn't that concerned because I did read some people do this. Well, after a rough tornado and hail season, here comes summer! Time to get the pool ready. I'm a country girl - i've never had a pool -- you don't need one when you have a pond lol. Well, that's what my dad told us. So not knowing where to start, I took my manuals to the pool store with a perky smile and a gungho attitude and said, "Hi, here's what I have (showing the manuals). It reads greek to me. Could you help me get started?"

I swear to you the guy put his head in his arms on the counter and said, "Ugh, people like you drive me crazy." My first urge was to slap him hard enough that he would qualify for workman's comp. But I couldn't go to jail - i had a pool to set up! So I left. Customer service is a make it or break it kind of thing for me.

I called the former owners of the house/pool (I work with one of them so we are "friends" - well, work friends") seeking advice. They offered to come over and help me get it ready. Usually, I hate asking for help but I was desperate.

They never showed.

Finally, on facebook I see a student of mine's parents work on pools for a living. So I messaged her - and things were looking bright. For about 2 minutes.

She instructed me to plug it in. I did. Nothing happened.

I've got to shorten this, no one reads blogs this long.

1. Electric outlet needs replacing
2. Pool motor needs replacing - thanks to a flood we had
3. Extension cord needs replacing
4. Cleaning pole needs replacing - i bent it because the net was so heavy with muck and algae
5. I'M TELLING YOU IT LOOKED LIKE A POND - in fact at one point I swear I thought I saw a fish jump up.
6. Endless amounts of bleach - I literally bought two stores of it out.
7. New pressure dial
8. Missing cap to replace on filter drain - 2 trips to a different pool store before i got the right one despite bringing pictures and numbers of the type of filter
9. The left me a great vacuum with 3 different parts missing from it - trip to yet another pool store - parts must be ordered - a week later I called - oh yeah they are here - drive 30 minutes to get them - only one is there - ACCCCCK
10. Oh I forgot the part of when I finally stepped into the "pond" to scrape the bottom - there was so much gunk and algae I slipped and went all the way under.
11. Of course, through this - more chemical and more chemicals - stung by a wasp twice! Apparently, they think they are calling my deck their home.
12. Cotton trees (which I didn't even know I had) are spewing cotton continually plugging up the filters. Anyone wanna cut down a tree for me?

I'm sure there is more because this has been a month process but today - blessed day - i could almost, if i stared really hard with my fingers crossed and prayer lifted to the Lord - could see the bottom of my POOL which I have named Paradise.

That pond it fought me hard - tested my physical strength, my perseverance, overall not love of the outdoors or physical labor, and of course pocketbook, fear of wasps and all things icky - but as of this morning I'm calling myself the victor. Okay, okay - I'm realistic - I know I've just one this battle and the war is not over, but let me enjoy this moment. Tomorrow it may be something else but for today I own a house with a Paradise.

Swimmingly yours,

Audra

© Copyright 2013 audra_branson (UN: abranson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
audra_branson has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/786929-From-Pond-to-Paradise