*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/799962-Doughnuts-and-Burnouts
by Sparky
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #1944136
Some of the strangest things forgotten by that Australian Blog Bloke. 2014
#799962 added December 11, 2013 at 7:43am
Restrictions: None
Doughnuts and Burnouts
I feel that Writing is a lot like operating some sort of vehicle, with our minds as propulsion, words the fuel, energy, thrust, direction, guidance, response, tone.

I realised just lately that I have a lot more to learn about writing novels, and stories (same thing I suppose) than I thought.

If you used the analogy of writing being like operating a vehicle, then I'm prrrreeettty much still a Learner, with (in Australia anyway) a large yellow L sign stuck up in the back window of my items, and..ahem. Blog.

See, the other day, I discovered something sort of startling about myself. I didn't know where the brake was in my writing.
Yes, there are run on sentences.

But I mean knowing when to STOP. For Crying Out Loud.
When you're pushing along in the chapter, bringing out that stuff about your main characters, fueling them along, giving them purpose, giving your reader what they want but holding back some, pulling on the reins a little, teasing, letting loose a bit, but then curbing the rush, yes you're up on the front drivers seat of the coach, the clatter of the horses and their leather, buckles, tethers, metal bits, all those things that give sound to the action, you're racing down the road, gravel, sandy edges up onto the grass, trees close and overhanging the road but it doesn't matter because it's the old days, probably early 1800's and you'll be watching for the next town with a smith, change those horses, sweat and froth, the

and so on...

You need to know where the brake is, and use it. Otherwise you'll end up with stuff happening in your book, in your plot that you don't want.

Learn when to apply the brake to characterisation, to mood, to honesty, to political correction, to rudeness, to your own opinion, to being crass, to being a prude, to skim over the top, to dig deep. Learn when and how to do these things in your writing.

It's an art. A feeling in your bones. If you aren't feeling that feeling with a passion in your words, then your reader won't either. But don't expect to feel that all the time. In a story it's not like that. You can't drive the vehicle, the car, truck, scooter, bicycle, moped, whatever, with your foot flat to the floor all the time. You'll run out of fuel. And it's a waste of fuel. Don't waste it.

But don't be too frugal, stingy, a scrooge.

There is another thing I learned about writing.
And that is when you DO want a collision. Yes, you want your reader to be lured along into an ambush. An unexpected CRASH. Something they weren't expecting.
They were so comfortable, but don't overdo it. It's a fine line isn't it? Between boredom, a tickle of information and then too much so they guess it's a comin'

See in the following photo, a spot in Ulverstone where, in my opinion, there should be a warning sign erected.

It's an accident waiting to happen, has been there many years I suppose and is on a side street. Perhaps it's just to illustrate that care needs to be taken. Driving IN is not the problem, it's when cars drive OUT that the problem occurs. They can't see, and you cannot see them until it's almost too late, and if you are driving along not alert, or a tinny bit too fast, still legal but unwise, then a crash will happen.



So, the analogy with the car...and your writing. Learn how to set up the story so that it's all cosy and normal, TOO NORMAL. Something just a tiny little bit off kilter. In this type of technique you don't want to creep them out. Not at all. So don't even give a hint.
But the next instant HIT them with the whole bomb full.
Straight out of the sky right on their heads.

An ambush of plot circumstance that they never saw coming. Why would you do that?

BECAUSE ITS EXCITING!!!

Another trick I was thinking of, and I've tried this out in my Nano Novel, and not sure if its what you do ok? No one has told me this or taught me this stuff, I'm just poking about having a go at inventive creative writing.

Try putting in a false climax. It's a climax in the story, for sure. But it isn't the main thing. If your reader is astute and not a dumb clot, they'll work out that there is a fair old handful of the novel still to be read yet, so you won't the wool be pulling over their eyes (as it says in the Monty Python skit) and they'll be onto your trick of a false dawn, a not so great climax.

It may even trick them a little. They'll be like, ohhh, nooo, Johnny is about to do such and such. And bang, he's arrested. That's it, all over.
But then they find evidence the next day, and he's released from prison to a cheering crowd of his friends and well wishers. Seems all a success and great. But it's not the end. It's not even close to the end.

So what's the point of a half a climax? BEcause it's kept your story heading along, and kept the reader interested. Just one thing though. It had better have something decent to do with your story and main climax, or you'll be in trouble with your reader. (And no doubt publisher.)

I'm sure there are many other analogies with driving and writing. Below are my iPhone notes on it. Time has gone and my blog has to finish. That's what happens when life doesn't wait for aspiring novelists. I have to get some sleep. Then tomorrow we have some cleaning work. Yes, the great famous novelist (one day ok? one day!) has to go and clean someone else's bathroom.
But they can one day say, you know, Mr So and So the great literary nobel prize winner etc, he once cleaned our BATHROOM! see? Here's a bit he missed! Ho! See there! We should get him back to do it again!

Hmm, I bet they will too. Some people are so fussy. Especially my wife!

Writing styles and purpose like different vehicles, and skill at driving them.
Captive audience; locks doors after readers unwittingly enter.
Bulk information / text books like trucks
Learn the etiquette of writing
Can't drive off fast and not realise need for brakes.


Sparky

Ps. Other pics are before n afters af some vanity taps.
And some frozen lemons for no reason

Doughnuts and Burnouts?

Doughnuts = driving in a circle in a vehicle revving the engine doing the next one.

Burnout = spinning the back tyres of a vehicle in a rapid fashion in a noisy smokey act of hooliganism that is unacceptable, immature, reckless, irresponsible, but jolly good fun. (If done in a safe manner where it doesn't disturb others)

© Copyright 2013 Sparky (UN: sparkyvacdr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sparky has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/799962-Doughnuts-and-Burnouts