*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/805379-Music-of-My-Life
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#805379 added February 1, 2014 at 10:47am
Restrictions: None
Music of My Life
What song holds the most wonderful memories for you? Week Six for Welcome to My Reality.

I am a huge music person. Music plays like a soundtrack in my life. I can remember songs from my childhood and remember the memories they hold and the times of it all. There is a sweetness in knowing that.

That said, I am not going to focus on any one particular song, but play around in my memories to see what comes up.

My first song of memory was an Elton John song - Benny and the Jets. I continue to love Elton John. As a crooning five year old, I was pretty good. (this blog is going to date me - but I do not care). The song was played over and over like an anthem at my babysitter's house. She had five children of her own and except for one, who was three years older than me, they were all teenagers or early twenty somethings.

Around the same time, the first popular song I learned all the words to was One Tin Soldier Rides Away - not sure if that is the actual title and I have no idea who sings it. It was on the radio a lot - and I remember the radio was on a lot when I was a child. Only one station in small town New Liskeard, Ontario and I will admit, that at that age when the announcer said, "And next up we have ___ ready to play for you." I could have sworn those bands were waiting at the radio station to play for me. My mother did not get a eight - track player until I was older. Silly kid thoughts.

Another song I could sing by heart, that my Grandma McLeod in Timmins adored, was The Lord's Prayer. She would get me to sing that every time I came to visit.

As you can see little kids songs were not sung - in fact I do not remember learning any until I went to camp, when I was eight.
I did know little kid songs, I just did not sing them unless it was for a Kwanis Festival or something. I won first place for Miss Polly Had A Dolly when I was six and had to sing in front of an audience at the New Liskeard Community Hall. That was terrifying for a shy kid, but I did it - and I only forgot a small part of the words when I found my mother in the audience. She and my Grandparents had come to see me.

I was twelve when I got my first record player - a Candle from Consumers Distributing. My first two albums were Air Supply and Men At Work - both Australian bands. I played these everyday. Sang along with them. The Air Supply - All Out Of Love album was one that I put on every night to help ease me and let me fall asleep. I still love those songs.

I am not sure what albums I added next, or when I switched to tapes and CDs but I have amassed a great deal of music over the years. I have quite a varied taste.

My high school years were dominated by, I am afraid to say, but I loved them, Duran Duran. Do not hold that against me. I still like them in fact, but not with the adoration I had as a teen and you will be glad to know I was never one of those stupid screamie girls who see them in concert - I never did see them in concert.

In fact, normally if a band or group became super popular I tended to stop liking them - Michael Jackson was a case in point. Although I liked his music, I was not interested in him as my friends were. I was more into Chicago.

Now, although I still like to listen to current music - like Katie Perry - I am more into Christian Popular music. I told you my interests were varied.
Well there you go. My life in music...this far.



signature for the Paper Doll Gang. ** Image ID #1855238 Unavailable **

© Copyright 2014 πŸ’™ Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
πŸ’™ Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/805379-Music-of-My-Life