*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/805831-This-ones-about-commenting-and-theme-music
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1939270
A third attempt at this blogging business.
#805831 added February 4, 2014 at 8:46pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about commenting and theme music.
MOB-RELATED ACTIVITY:

February 2014 Blog Mob - Join or ...


Hey people! Looks like the Mob Boss aka Brother Nature aka Joel has cooked up a legit activity for us today in the "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS Blog Mob, and it's actually a nice little bit of community exercising by reading and commenting on entries that have no comments. I kinda thought this might be a little harder than it looks, partially because I can't remember the last time personally that I've written a blog entry that hasn't been commented on (although I'm positive it's happened many times).

I went over to the list of Mob members and I picked a couple I hadn't read in awhile (and one who's relatively new to WDC). It's always good to stretch out your reading palette from time to time, and I couldn't have come up with a better way to do so than at Joel's suggestion.

And in an odd coincidence, the first entry I read that didn't have a comment had one by the time I went to leave one...hope that's not a problem. It was Sparky 's entry, "Roast Lamb and vegies...ahhhh. And gravy; worthy of an entry from "Shouts From Down Under , and somewhere between the time I opened it up and clicked on "View Comments" Elle - on hiatus had already stolen my thunder beaten me to the punch. I mentioned how good his roasted lamb looked and a discussion broke out between Elle and myself over pumpkins and potatoes. Did I say too much just now? Was that against the Mob's bylaws and stuff, for going over the limit for what we're supposed to say about our comments? And so what if it is? I do what I want. *Smirk*

Then I dropped in on sketch_a_dream's port and hit up "Invalid Item. Since it's not in WDC's book/blog format I couldn't leave an actual comment, so I wrote a paragraph in her notebook saying I'd read her item and I too was sick of the cold. I also mentioned that she's got a cool story to reminisce with friends down the road about the weather and how she wound up having to get a hotel room while travelling in a snowstorm.

Last but certainly not least I went over to ElaineElaine 's blog, "Fragments of Being 2. Her most recent entry was "fun for a cold February and it's a short promo encouraging people to join up with our Mob as part of a larger mission of staying warm. I made a creepy-sounding remark about body heat, decided not to delete it, and then suggested maybe blankets would be a better way of keeping warm than all of us huddled together. In retrospect I probably shouldn't have said anything and just nodded in agreement with her post, but I'm trying to fulfill some requirements here, and I'm from the school that thinks every blog entry should be commented on at least once. All the views in the world don't matter unless someone acknowledges the author in some way.

Now I've gotta figure out the rest of this post before I go into reading everyone else's entries for today (another Mob function...is it ok that I said that? So many rules...I'm not good with keeping track of all that stuff).

BCF PROMPT: "What do you think of television modesty these days? Where do you think it is headed?"

I went with the "alternate selection" instead of "What was your favorite Super Bowl commercial?" because I really didn't pay that much attention to the ads this year. Honestly, Super Bowl commercials are kinda anticlimactic anyway because so many of them are purposely leaked beforehand as it is, and I was more interested in checking out Twitter during breaks in the action. The ads, well, I suppose I can YouTube them whenever I want or go to a company's website if I'm concerned with their means of promoting brand or products, but I kinda don't care. That, and I was watching a Canadian feed, which from what I heard sounded like half the spots weren't relevant to me because I don't live in Canada. For all the ways it seems like Canada and the US are similar, watch an hour of CTV...totally not the same.

So this modesty thing. I think it kinda ebbs and flows. There's often some sort of slow moral decline that reaches a peak where the bottom just drops out on decency, and then everything becomes bad and/or censored for awhile, and then modesty begins another descent into decay and questionable decisions. I think you can point at the Super Bowl Halftime show as an example of this...it was this wholesome affair for so long, until the NFL started to take more chances while trying to keep their viewership and ratings up, and then Justin Timberlake juggles one of Janet Jackson's boobs for a split second and everyone loses their minds. The NFL goes back to having aging rock stars and septuagenarians as their entertainment, and people complain about how terrible they sound until the league goes back to someone younger, and again people start whining about "how such-and-such generation is so disrespectful" and "I wish they'd stay off the damn lawn". It's definitely a cyclical thing.

Like in so many other places in life, boundaries are gonna get pushed and there's always someone who goes a little too far. The people that likely weren't meant to see whatever they found so offensive of course are gonna yell the loudest and demand that changes be made to ensure standards are adhered to. That's what happens when people see something they don't like or understand, and surely if they're offended by it then everyone should be offended. It's just as much a part of our human nature as Starbucks or McDonalds being on every other corner and pretending like they're doing nothing but positive things for the world (which is probably an entry in itself for another time). That's one of the beauties of this life we're livin' in...we're never all gonna agree on what's right or wrong 100% of the time, or 90% or even 70%, which keeps things interesting.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

** Image ID #1970900 Unavailable **


I wouldn't say that Radiohead's song "The National Anthem" (album: Kid A {link:http://www.amazon.com/Kid-A-Radiohead/dp/B00004XONN/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391561579&sr=8-1&keywords=Radiohead+Kid+A}; lyrics: http://www.greenplastic.com/radiohead-lyrics/kid-a/the-national-anthem/) is specifically biographical lyrically, but if there ever becomes a way for people to have theme songs or entrance music when they walk into a room, I want this to play for me...mainly the horns at around the 2:15 mark for the next 40 or 45 seconds.



THE DAILY BOX SCORE:

*Balloon1* A hundred entries in this blog already...that came up kinda fast. Who brought the cake? *Laugh*

*Carb* If you read anything else the rest of the day, read this article (even if it's just for the opportunity to see phrases like "moron ballet" and "disease with legs" for your own two eyes, as clear as the internet's day): http://www.trendingbuffalo.com/life/uncle-steves-buffalo/taking-fresh-look-unfai....

*Quill* And if you need some of your faith in humanity restored, you can glance at these quotes and feel better about life for awhile: http://thoughtcatalog.com/cody-delistraty/2014/01/the-13-wittiest-literary-lines....

30: Minutes I spent this afternoon at CAPCO, when I was expecting to be there for three hours. On the plus side, they'll be giving me enough shifts that I won't have to do the Cortland County Work Experience program anymore, which means no more trips to The Church Of The Fifteen Hungry Senior Citizens, or waiting on the bus in sub-zero wind chills so I can spend an hour mopping a floor. The woman in charge at CAPCO seems nice and appears to know very well what she's doing, which is a huge plus. I think I'll be liking this opportunity a whole lot more.

With that I think I've said about all I'll need to for today (it's ok that I said that, right?) and you can go back to whatever it was you were up to before you decided to join me for a little bit this evening. We'll meet back here tomorrow for more Mob-affiliated behavior, and you can tell me how that makes you feel. Peace, everyone is so near, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!


© Copyright 2014 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/805831-This-ones-about-commenting-and-theme-music