*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/809054-Two-classes-one-week
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#809054 added June 16, 2014 at 10:11pm
Restrictions: None
Two classes, one week!
         Wow, I can't believe I failed to post an update about my recent trip to New England!  *Frown*

         The week of Valentines, I went to both Connecticut and Massachusetts to deliver two 2-day classes.  I lived in Groton Ct for two years when I was in the Navy, so I was anxious to see the area.  I deliver the first class on Monday-Tuesday, and had Wednesday as a travel day.  I was in Naugatuck, Ct. for that class, and decided to drive up the coast, and spend a day being a tourist.  Something I couldn't pass up though, was the opportunity to visit Gillette Castle.  Gillette Castle straddles East Haddam, and Lyme, Conecticut, sitting on a bluff above the Connecticut River.  It actually sits on the southern most hill of a chain called the Seven Sisters.  Originally it was a private residence, commissioned and designed by William Gillette, an actor known for his portrayal of  Sherlock Holmes in the early 20th century.  Gillette originally called the estate 'Seventh Sister', due to its location.  After Gillette died (Single, alone, no children), his will stipulated that the castle should not fall into the hands of a "blithering sap-head who has no conception of where he is or with what surrounded".  The Connecticut State Government took the estate over in 1943 and renamed it Gillette Castle, and the estate became a State Park.  Sadly, the castle itself was closed for the winter during my visit, but the grounds were open.  Of course the area was covered in snow, but that didn't stop me from snapping quite a few photos.



         After spending about an hour prowling the grounds, I drove on over to Groton.  I was anxious to visit the USS Nautilus, SSN571, the world's first nuclear powered submarine.  I spent about 2 hours there seeing the museum and walking through the submarine, and was not disappointed one bit.  Of course there was a draw for me with this, having spent 20 years supervising the operation of the nuclear reactors on more advanced submarines.  I then avoided the faster route of I-95, and drove along scenic Hwy 1.  I stopped in Mystic Ct. for lunch, dining at a place called the Ancient Mariner.  If you ever visit this area, stop there for Lobster Mac n Cheese, or their lobster sandwich.  *Smile*

         I hate to say it, but the time in Plymouth was a bit anti-climatic, and a little disappointing.  Plymouth Rock is very small, and was split into two parts in 1774.  The rock wasn't even identified as the Pilgrim's landing point until 120 years after the Pilgrim's landed, so it's identity has been doubted by many.  The upper portion of the rock was moved around, but now sits in its original location.  Still, seeing it was a bit of a let down.  It is not very big, and after all I've read about it, it failed to live up to my expectations (I guess that's the best way I can word it.

         I flew home from Boston on Saturday, just ahead of a winter storm that hit the area that evening.  My next trip would be two weeks later, to Edmonton Alberta.  If I didn't know better, I'd think my scheduler is punishing me for the Maui trip in November.  *Laugh*  Ever since that trip, I've been delivering classes in the north, except for a one day tryst to Gainesville for a two hour class.  By the time I head somewhere south, winter will be over, and it will be hot everywhere.  Finally!

         Tile next time, I hope y'all stay warm and comfy in your homes, and make it through the winter healthy.

Jim

© Copyright 2014 Sum1's In San Francisco (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1's In San Francisco has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/809054-Two-classes-one-week