*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/820878-HUH-When-I-was-a-lad-wed-have-thought-that-wasLUXURY
by Sparky
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #1944136
Some of the strangest things forgotten by that Australian Blog Bloke. 2014
#820878 added June 26, 2014 at 9:33am
Restrictions: None
HUH! When I was a lad we'd have thought that was...LUXURY!
We've come a long way from those dim distant days of the past, when our forefathers and mothers scratched their draft novels on the walls of their cave, and prevented plagiarism by clubbing any nearby Neanderthals over their CroMagnon brows with the stub of a pencil.
(The pencils were bigger back then and not quite so sharp; just the butt ends of a King William Pine tree or a Californian Coast Redwood. And yes I know I know, it's only a theory about Modern Man coming from those guys)

Yes, we've got all mod cons now, not even having to struggle along with a clacking Remington, Chevron or Underwood TouchMaster Typewriter, no not even Dos computers or floppy discs any more.
We have NoteBooks, NotePads, iPads and PC's. We have the Internet and WiFi. We have USB sticks. We have Dropbox!

As writers, we live in a world of unimaginable luxury as far as materials go, and tools to help us do our stuff, AND be published.

Sometimes though, don't you yearn for those "good old days"? Come on, don't be shy. We all do don't we? We all wish we were back there in Mum and Dad's old Asbestos Fibro clad house with the Asbestos Heater chimney flue, the lead pipes, the phostoxin tablets killing the weavils in the wheat silo, the Dieldrin insecticide, the Bluestone and Nicotine sheep dip.

You KNOW you want to slip back a few decades into the nostaligic DDT, 24D - an ingredient in Agent Orange, and spray our vegies with the chemical time bomb herbicide 245T.

And what about the charming old diseases back then. Yeah! I remember getting the Mumps, Measels, Chicken Pox, Rubella, and our parents cheering us up relating how much more fun they had with their generation of horrors. Yes, we had it easy!
Our Parents or Grandparents and Great Grandparents had things MUCH worse with Typhoid Fever, Tuberculosis, Scarlet Fever, Tetanus and Polio. Before them there were even better ones; Cholera, Diptheria, Bloody Flux, Scurvy and the dreaded Black Plague.

These days it's just plaque.

Go back in time when writers weren't allowed freedom. You were thought to be a witch and burned at the stake, or tortured by the Spanish Inquisition. You had to commit Seppuku for not being humble, bringing shame on your family, village and prefecture. There was no Google or Wikipedia. No YouTube to get ideas from, or any Online Dictionary or Thesaurus.

Further back there was only Tyrannosaurus Rex, Volcanos, the odd Ice Age, Mammoth, Viking or Roman invasion, and other discouragements to peaceful scribing. Even Caesar himself couldn't sit and think without getting cut with Brutus' "novel" idea.

Nah. We have it so easy. We've missed out on all the good old days. I shake my head with wistful sadness, to have to put up with this modern boring spoon fed life. Tsk! We have First World Problems to worry about now.
Like, only one speaker works on this Laptop. And what coffee will we buy at the Supermarket.

LUXURY!



Our current yesteryear retro 1600's-1930's bathroom facilities with a modern razor to balance out the inconvenience. Note the tie - just like Colin Furse wears in his engineering workshop.
We should always dress properly; the best we can, even in squalid post war depression conditions like this. *Pthb* You never know when a Publisher might be renovating his / her bathroom, and sharing the laundry trough next to you.



But it will all be worth it in the end, won't it?

Bathroom Reno update as of 10:55pm 26/6/2014



Sparky

This video is to introduce Carly.



Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

© Copyright 2014 Sparky (UN: sparkyvacdr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sparky has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/820878-HUH-When-I-was-a-lad-wed-have-thought-that-wasLUXURY