*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/821676-A-short-story-that-should-be-quite-a-muse-ing
by Sparky
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #1944136
Some of the strangest things forgotten by that Australian Blog Bloke. 2014
#821676 added July 5, 2014 at 3:02am
Restrictions: None
A short story that should be quite a-muse-ing...
Tell me all the things you would change
I don't pretend to know what you want
When you come around and spin my top
Time and again, time and again
No fire where I lit my spark
I am not afraid of the dark
Where your words devour my heart
And put me to shame, put me to shame

And your seven worlds collide
Whenever I am by your side
And dust from a distant sun
Will shower over everyone

You're still so young to travel so far
Old enough to know who you are
Wise enough to carry the scars
Without any blame, there's no one to blame
It's easy to forget what you learned
Waiting for the thrill to return
Feeling your desire burn
You're drawn to the flame

When your seven worlds collide
Whenever I am by your side
And dust from a distant sun
Will shower over everyone
Dust from a distant sun
Will shower over everyone

And I'm lying on the table
Washed out in the flood
Like a Christian fearing vengeance from above
I don't pretend to know what you want
But I offer love

Seven worlds collide
Whenever I am by your side
And dust from a distant sun
Will shower over everyone
As time slips by, and on and on

Do you think I wrote this? How I'd love to say "Yes! It is my scribbles. Just a little something I wrote on a napkin at a restaurant while not really thinking, more focussed on my Danebrog steak." (Devonport Tasmania - Eat two of these one kilogram monstors - tip the plate upside down; if nothing falls off your next steak is on the house).

No it wasn't me and I couldn't pump out fantastic songs like Crowded House did, not even one, let alone one after the other. The Beatles did the same, as did a lot of bands and soloists.

I'm hearing people say sometimes that music isn't the same these days; that there's no meaning in the lyrics, no depth, no experience evident in the words. They say that the industry is money driven now, and it's rare and not encouraged for someone to succeed these days unless funded by big labels and advertising guru budgets. The works or nothing, son.

Slip this coat onto writing and selling our works. Oh yeah. Is it the same? Are we held at gunpoint by cash strapped publishing houses?
Are we held hostage to the whims of saleability; boardroom opinion and marketing experience? Are the novels that are accepted just a horse designed by a committee (and turning out like a camel) ?
Seems like every man (person) and his / her / other's dog is writing something and trying to pedal it these days.

Well Brian did try


Maybe he just needed to join www.writing.com for a supportive community to keep him motivated, or maybe ask for a bit of guidance from 10-minute Novelists https://www.facebook.com/groups/488365771285615/

Ever sat around a campfire, or just stared into the flames after you've lit your wood heater at home? It's quite mesmerising and calming isnt it?

I'm looking forward to being involved in a couple of Camp-Fire sessions here on WDC. Something new every day for everyone, right here on this site. (Music starts up radio station style)



Bathroom update. Pipes extended for Vanity. Tick! Leaky loo fitting tightened and leak stopped. Tick! Single tile installed near door and silicon applied on shower screen corners. Tick!



Next up. Cut noggins and nail in - for toilet roll holder, and grab rail mounting. Remove old "Burnie-board" sheets of Masonite from the walls up to the ceiling. Hang new sheets of plaster to three walls, fill joins and corners, sand back and paint. Tile bottom row and entire back wall behind toilet and vanity cupboard up to window height. Refit power point. Fit toilet and vanity and hook up plumbing.

Sound a boring subject to write about? Try doing it and see how bored you feel. Ok, it's not that bad. I wonder if anyone wrote a story about a plumber / trademan and made it interesting / engaging?

The cartoon I posted on the community feed, of a muse holding the writer at gunpoint and demanding the story be written! prompted me to think of a plot where you as the writer WERE held at gunpoint. You had to write your novel under severe duress and stress, in fear of your life.



There's got to be a good story in that somewhere. Juicy crazy scene and ridiculous situation, conflict, drama, and all you need is a heroine to save the day, for the romantic angle, or maybe a macabre ending with ironic writer's block being the cause of death; death by lead injection.

Here's a prompt! BANG!

Sparky

Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

© Copyright 2014 Sparky (UN: sparkyvacdr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sparky has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/821676-A-short-story-that-should-be-quite-a-muse-ing