*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/823493-To-call-text-or-FB
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #1984213
Thoughts that clammer through my head
#823493 added July 25, 2014 at 1:33am
Restrictions: None
To call, text or FB??
         Social media, the new way to have people see you. At least that's the way I see it. It's not really about keeping in touch as much as I think it's a way for each person to have an audience. I must admit I'm on Facebook. My peers in college told me about it, begging me please to get on it so they could stay in touch with me after graduation. I was extremely reluctant. That was when Facebook was only available to college students. It hadn't been opened to the general public. I succumbed to peer pressure! Yes me! Guess how many of those same people I still keep in touch with or have as friends.....none. That doesn't mean it hasn't been good. I probably still have about 20 friends and professors that I am still friends with and stay in touch. The rest of my 133 friends are mostly family. A handful of very close friends are in there. Mostly ones I interact with outside of Facebook.

         I spend very little time on Facebook. I post new paintings I've done and I like to see what my kids and grandkids are up to. I see more and more how people spend their time complaining about something or even nothing! Some like to make a comment that stirs others up and then there is a line of comments where everyone is taking jabs at each other as they all vie for "being right." That was never so prominent as it was with the last election. Politics is like religion and my mother used to tell me growing up that those are two conversations you don't have with people because everyone feels so strong about it. She was right. I've watched good friends get vicious with each other over a political opinion. I've watched most friends use FB as a platform to get attention in various ways and none of it is positive.

         Some days I feel like I want to close my account, but it's the only way I can "consistently" stay in touch with my kids or grandkids. With lives being so busy, picking up the telephone is almost unheard of, unless you want to text someone. *Sad*

         Now my little sister got my 78 year old mother on Facebook. Mom isn't very good at navigating and doesn't post much, but she gets to see all of her kids, grandkids and great-grandkids. She loves the pictures and videos. The last time I saw her, she commented, "nobody sends pictures any more. Everything is on Facebook or digital. I like pictures on my walls!" I understood completely. I've felt that way at times myself. So I made her a photo book with pictures I had from visits with her, and with some of her grandchildren. She is so proud of that book she keeps it on her coffee table and shows everyone who will listen.

         The intimacy in relationships is what Social Media has stolen from society. I know it has it's place, but it shouldn't replace a true relationship with others. Making posts on a social media site is impersonal and lacks warmth. It's just a statement. I've lost more relationships on Facebook than I've added. People will post things that they wouldn't say in public. Sitting behind a computer gives some more courage (if you want to call it that) to post the meanest, craziest or the most stupid things. Really!

         Good or bad, I know social media is here to stay and whether I like it or not, I learn to adapt. Call me old-fashioned or just nuts, but I still love the face to face relationships and phone calls. My oldest grandchild is now starting to text me. He recently got an iPhone for his birthday so now we can FaceTime. That's one piece of technology I love. *Smile*

© Copyright 2014 Chasing Worms (UN: chasingworms at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Chasing Worms has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/823493-To-call-text-or-FB