*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/823935-Childhood-books
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1908951
Random thoughts, inconsistent posting
#823935 added July 30, 2014 at 12:26pm
Restrictions: None
Childhood books
Name 3 books that made your childhood a happier place. 

Books in general made my childhood happier. We didn't have TV in our home until long after my younger siblings had left the house. Books were my salvation.

As child I have memory of reading THE FIVE CHINESE BROTHERS, The Story about PING,  FERDINAND THE BULL and BLUEBERRIES FOR SAL. 

At an early age I began reading all the Bobsey Twins, Nancy Drew, Trixie Beldon and A Wrinkle in Time series.  As a Teen I read the Cavanaugh books and then graduated to Victoria Holt, Phyllis Whitney, Mary Stewart and Ellis Peters. I found Ian Flemming until my mother called the city library and put a "pre-authorization" to any books I checked out.  I went through the Western phase where I read all about the wagon trains coming across the prairie.

Then I discovered Harlequin Romance novels. 225 pages of quick romance. They were written in a simple format but each had their own take on that format. I just read the backs and picked the format I liked. I loved it when a one night stand resulted in a baby where the mother and father later met. The father wealthy, mother barely making it and thinks if the father knows he will take the baby away. Conflict and then resolution of love.  I don't read them any more. I don't find any of the formats interesting any more.

After I was married I read all the bodice rippers when they were released, Rosemary Rogers, Katherine Woodiwiss, Johanna Lindsey, Jude Deveroux, Catherine Coulter, and Catherine Cookson. These eased into Historical Romance, and paranormal.

I can't name 3 books that made my childhood happier, but I can say that in the 5th grade, my friend had  full sets (at that time) of Trixie Beldon, Bobsey Twins and Nancy Drew. I borrowed 1 book, read it in a day or two and brought it back to "borrow the next." After a while her mother knew I was devouring the books, knew her daughter was finished with them and let me take two or three at a time home. I'd knock at the door and even if the girl wasn't home, her mother and father let me in to choose which books I'd read next. I think they may have been pleased at times someone appreciated the books.  I finished most of the sets that summer.


© Copyright 2014 Quick-Quill (UN: thekindred at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Quick-Quill has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/823935-Childhood-books