*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/824570-Security-is-just-a-figment-and-sometimes-not-even-that
by Sparky
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #1944136
Some of the strangest things forgotten by that Australian Blog Bloke. 2014
#824570 added August 7, 2014 at 12:52am
Restrictions: None
Security is just a figment, and sometimes not even that...
Look...a bloke who can't see. Hey! There's someone who is missing a limb. Woah! Here's a guy in a wheelchair. How about that! There's another one who is mentally challenged.

Do you ever see all these people, and you think, here's me. And there's that group.

I'm fit and able. They aren't.

I'm ok. They are not.

I'm healthy in body and mind- complete, and those folks are not, for one reason or another.

So, you sort of pigeonhole the entire bunch as a group separate from you.

Well, I have to admit, I did. I used to think this way. Not that I had anything against anyone; not at all. It's just that I had a certain mind set about life. The main thought that I had was this.

This can't / won't happen to me

No! I'm not like that, never have been, never will and I don't have to / want to be involved with anyone like that, because they are scary, unfathomable, vaguely threatening people. They've been like this from birth or whatever, but I can just exist and pretend they don't. There's always someone else that can worry about them, look after them, care about them, understand them, and...love them.

Well, here's the thing. The point of what I'm saying is about to be unfolded to you, my valued blog entry reader.

Sometimes things happen. It could be in the next few minutes when you jump in the car and drive down to the supermarket. It could happen tonight when you're lying in bed. Maybe tomorrow it will come to pass. How about just gradually, and you find out only after a few weeks or months and your doctor lets you know.

Oh yes, you'll know. There's no doubt that you'll miss it or be uncertain.

You'll now be a person with disabilities yourself. Yes, a car accident, stroke, heart attack, aquired brain injury, king hit at the pub, disease, cancer, amputation, and I'm sure there are a million more scenarios I don't know about, where you'll suddenly be a person with disabilities.

It's NEVER a disabled person. These people are not a separate group to humans. They didn't come here from another planet.

They are not just humans, but have every right to the best life possible. Just like all of us.

So, no it's not a disabled woman. It's a woman with disabilities.
Or a boy with a disability. It's not just about how you say it, but more importantly, your attitude about these folks.

Don't think that's important? Think this is just political correctness and antidiscrimination going TOO FAR?

Well, if you think that way, I can understand, because I did too, once.

But like me, there may come a day when you'll get tapped on the shoulder, by fate, or by fortune and told "Wake up sunshine. Today, you will understand, oh yes, and very deeply, that it DOES MATTER. It IS important!..."

Because now you either have some sort of life challenge yourself, or you have undergone training, and have had experiences with these people, in close contact and being held responsible for their care, and you'll understand.

Here's a couple of interesting sites I've come across, for whatever reason, in the least few weeks while fitting a toilet in our bathroom renovation. And yes it is coming along, just delayed a little because of other commitments (and lack of funds).

http://www.accessibleconstruction.com/services/bathrooms/2.html

http://www.specialneedssolutions.com.au/products/rifton-hts-hygiene-toileting-sy...




Below is some links and photos that I decided to use, to demonstrate graphically, what it could be like for you, or anyone else, that suddenly becomes disabled, losing use of some part of their bodies or brain, or for some other reason, isn't the same person they once were.

This was a lovely cafe in our town of Ulverstone, Tasmania. In 2010 it was burn't beyond repair by arson attack. (Stuff happens in life, beyond our control)

News article of the Red Olive Gallery Cafe
http://m.theaustralian.com.au/news/latest-news/fire-damages-red-olive-gallery-ca...


Photos
http://www.homehound.com.au/listing/withdrawn/tas/tasmania/burnie-devonport-nw-t...

More
http://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/690911/350000-damage-in-ulverstone-cafe-fire...

Photos of the site now. Just a vacant block of land with a small forlorn shed in one corner, and a padlocked / chained back gate. (Not sure how this prevents entry, as the fence has a huge gap, and the front of the block is completely open).



Yes, we can all be reduced from something of percieved glory and usefulness, to a tiny percentage of what we had previously, and be forced to change our set of values.
That small shed, that would have once been considered just a garden shed, or for storage, is now the only thing of value left. It could be used now, just like those with disabilities.
They have to learn to use WHAT THEY HAVE, and value it.

It's up to the rest of us to help them, however we can. Because tomorrow, we could be in the situation ourselves. Or our children. Or our parents. (Dementia?)

Sparky

Featured as part of my signature, the video below is here to raise awareness of Carly, who thrives despite the difficulties of severe Autism. Watching and learning about her may change how we think of these people, and how we treat them.



Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

© Copyright 2014 Sparky (UN: sparkyvacdr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sparky has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/824570-Security-is-just-a-figment-and-sometimes-not-even-that