*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/838128-The-Story-of-a-Picture
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #2013641
A blog to connect Humanities Core concepts with my creative side
#838128 added January 10, 2015 at 7:40pm
Restrictions: None
The Story of a Picture
          Every picture has its own story. Regardless of its type- an action or staged shot, a sketch, or a painting- each one has its own meaning.
         On Wednesday, in lecture, Professor Fahs showed us many images depicting slaves escaping to the north. Two of these images, as I show below, really stood out to me.

A sketch of African Americans walking to freedom-not mine                     Second picture for HumanCore, this is the engraving of the sketch from number 1

          Sometimes, what is left out is just as important as what is included- especially in a picture like this. In the original image (left side), the woman looked like she was taking the lead, with a young child riding on her back. She looked strong, confident, and capable. She had the responsibility of taking care of the next generation, and the kerchief on her head shows she has been working hard.
          However, in that time period, having a woman in the foreground, being so confident, and leading, with a child on her back would cause discomfort among viewers and readers. Women were not meant to be so independent, or responsible. African American women in the 19th century were not supposed to be seen as strong. They should be submissive to the men and do as their husbands, masters, or mistresses bid them to do.
          Therefore, when this picture was published (right side), not only was the woman erased from history, but many men from the original sketch also failed to appear in the wagon. Additionally, the published version of the sketch added on more bows on top of the wagon. The combination of less men and more bows broadcasted the message that women were meant to stay inside, clean and uncontaminated by the outside world. The wagon itself is taller than in the original image, and the people in the background of the original image have disappeared in the engraving. I want to think of the people as other slaves- who may have been in on the escape plan, or slaves who are escaping, too, just going a different road. Since the engraved version was published in a Harper's Weekly magazine known for its racial prejudices against African Americans, the publishers would not want their audience seeing more slaves in the back- also escaping, and watching the large party leave.
          Next, the two of the three horses in the original image were changed to a cow and a donkey. Horses are typically more expensive than cows and donkeys; the transformation of the animals would undermine the slaves' intelligence; making the picture more accessible to the audience receiving it.
          One last thing I noticed in these pictures was the environment. The scenery and nature is changed in the engraving. In the original copy, the fence is at the back corner of the image, which would lead viewers to believe the group is already off the slaveholder's property. However, in the right hand side, since the fence is next to the group, it gives a different perspective. It looks as if the party is following the fence to the border of the property, and still in the process of escaping from their master.
          As these two pictures show, little details, little changes in a picture can have a large impact on its meaning. When looking at a visual work, it is important to know which version is being considered. Each little nuance in a work of art makes a large difference in how it is eventually perceived.


Works Cited:
Forbes, Edwin. African American refugees coming into the Union Lines near Culpepper Court House, Va. 1863. Pencil sketch.
         Library of Congress.
Contrabands Coming into the Federal Camp in Virginia. Art. Harper's Weekly.. From a Sketch by Edwin Forbes

© Copyright 2015 Dragon is hiding (UN: flamebreather at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dragon is hiding has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/838128-The-Story-of-a-Picture