*Magnify*
    July     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/843319-G--L-community-Are-you-being-used-to-control-free-speech
by Sparky
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #1944136
Some of the strangest things forgotten by that Australian Blog Bloke. 2014
#843319 added March 5, 2015 at 6:27pm
Restrictions: None
G & L community Are you being used to control "free speech"?
We live in a strange era, where nothing should be discounted, and nothing is beyond someone's control. Be it tumours, or expressing a personal opinion.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2980658/Woman-crippling-headache-stabbed...

Unless our view belongs to the status quo, then we no longer have a right to express it. Think I'm exaggerating?

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/personal-finance/2015/03/02/boss-must-...

'“They didn’t agree with what we stand for,” Swift says.'

'...employers can be sued under federal and state anti-discrimination laws for allowing a hostile environment to exist in their firms...'

Whatever our opinion, and I don't agree with attacking others either, but surely we should have a right to express our opinion, even when it disagrees with others, or employers?

I see the obvious. People can have an opinion, but should tone it down so that it isn't an attack, but just an expression of what they believe in, or how they feel. And clearly, there's a time and place for that expression.

But wait. Isn't a personal Facebook page where you should be allowed to express personal opinion, without feeling threatened and invaded by your employer, or media busy bodies? So what if that opinion is disagreeable, different or even distasteful. Even if the other 7 odd billion people disagree with you. Even if your opinion is wrong and can easily be proven to be so.

I think people should be able to express their beliefs and opinions, at least on their personal outlet, without this sort of kangaroo court melee by public outcry-ists (new word) and definitely without the invasion of their private space by employers and big brother style companies.

The fact that this has the blessing of Federal Law no less, to me smacks of control of free speech. And I'm not one to cry "RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH" every 5 minutes.

But this should be of concern to all of us.

You, the G & L community, are being used, your outrage and feelings of ownership of your way of life and opinions- you are surely being used as an excuse to gag people.

Perhaps I've got it all wrong, and it's not an extreme thing, but just stopping idiots from vile troll attacks on social media. In that case I'm all for control of it, and booting people out and sacking them for their nasty vitriol, and hate posts.

Still, there's this niggling thought that perhaps today it's stopping homophobic expressions, and next week it will be stopping any other folks-

"for allowing a hostile environment to exist".

Angry outcry against such expressions is all very well, but surely the G & L community aren't a special, superior group? Surely they don't want to oppress others. I'm sure they don't. I'm sure they support others rights to their own opinions, just like everyone else.

Why then, do I even feel hesitant and a tad fearful of even writing this blog entry? Will I be kicked out of groups. ostracised, even sacked from my employment, for daring to disagree with blanket censorship of expressing personal opinion.

Doesn't it strike you that people can just ignore those posts, not have the person as a friend, and just get on with their lives? Yes, it's not acceptable, it's bad, it's outrageous and all that, but where does it end?

Where does the control of our lives begin, and finish?

Folks, is this just my paranoid mind, worrying over nothing? Is it?

As writers, we have no hope. "hostile environments"? Conflict is the key to great stories. Expressing disagreement is part of every argument, however sensitive the area.

And what about wars? Will governments be sued for allowing a hostile environment to exist in their firms? Will governments be suing their own security contractors or arms suppliers? Will future generations be suing previous people for allowing wars to happen?

Are we all doomed for breathing? Should I stop cooking eggs and bacon because it creates a hostile environment with possible personal injury?

Folks. G & L community. Everyone. In our zeal to stop people attacking others, we must be careful not to squash and eliminate those we disagree with.



Remember? There have been homophobic years when the shoe was on the other foot. And other issues spring to mind, when groups were singled out, or individuals were castigated because of an opinion. Slavery? Witches? Spanish Inquisition? Whoever else that society didn't feel were acceptable.

What about the movie Braveheart? We could uphold it as a shining example. Then there's the other side of it. Not based on fact, apparently.

http://www.scottishhistory.com/articles/independence/braveheart.html

Sometimes, we should just agree to disagree. Nothing more, nothing less.

There is no need for some sort of hysterical mob mentality against some hapless person, even if they are a troll. No need to stop them, unless it really is harmful attacks on others.

Then, may the societal sky fall on their naughty heads.

However, when people scream and throw stones at someone for their differing opinion, and force them to be quiet, then the question must be asked. Who are the real monsters?

Acts 7:59 is a classic example.

Sparky

Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

© Copyright 2015 Sparky (UN: sparkyvacdr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sparky has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/843319-G--L-community-Are-you-being-used-to-control-free-speech