*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/850524-From-the-International-Teenagers-Mindset
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #2013641
A blog to connect Humanities Core concepts with my creative side
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#850524 added May 29, 2015 at 12:55am
Restrictions: None
From the International Teenager's Mindset
"so do you think it's better for you now that you're here?" I asked a friend who moved to the US from China last year.

Sure it's nice being able to use restricted websites was her response

That made me curious. I asked her "why's that?"

Cuz I like Instagram and fb?
Well, I haven't known this girl for a long time, but I know her well enough to hear the underlying tone of this. It's like a "duh!" sort of question. One that reminds you, you should already know.

Personally, I'm not a huge user of either service. I use Facebook to keep in contact with some teachers and old friends; my instagram has less than 50 pictures on it.
I do suppose each person is different, but from my experience, students from foreign countries tend to fully immerse themselves into the American culture- from attire to behavior.

I watched one such girl- my friend's family friend- who also came to America last year, transform. She came as a modest-looking, innocent freshman girl. A very typical Chinese child, if you imagine her growing up with a Tiger Mom. By the end of the school year, she could shamelessly talk back to the teacher, bare her midriff, and knew the lyrics to most of the top hits.
If I were to hazard a guess, I would attune this to peer pressure- it's hard enough being new, but being from a different country and culture would be a possible hindrance to making new friendships.

Finally, I know she has a Facebook. Now that she's back in China, I'm curious what will happen with it.

© Copyright 2015 Dragon is hiding (UN: flamebreather at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dragon is hiding has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/850524-From-the-International-Teenagers-Mindset