*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/872551-Chantilly-Lace
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #2072393
The catch-all for items related to and/or inspired by the music that shaped me.
#872551 added February 3, 2016 at 5:30pm
Restrictions: None
Chantilly Lace
** Image ID #2070351 Unavailable **
This week's theme: One Hit Wonders


Hey guys...I'm switching it up a little today and going off-list for the third day of "The Soundtrack of Your Life. One of the first things I saw this morning on Facebook were posts about today being the anniversary of The Day The Music Died. Obviously, it happened long before I was born, but being a bit of a music geek it's hard not to acknowledge what this day has meant. Few events in history leave a lasting impression...an "I remember exactly where I was/what I was doing" bit of remembrance: The JFK assassination; 9/11; etc. The closest musical memory that I can relate to would be Kurt Cobain's suicide...it seems like every generation has a genius talent or megastar taken from them way too early. Those of you more familiar with musicians like Buddy Holly and those from that particular era may not agree, but we're entitled to our own feelings and interpretations of history as we experienced it.

On February 3rd, 1959, a plane crash claimed the lives of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and Jiles Perry "J. P." Richardson, Jr., more commonly known as "The Big Bopper". Holly of course was the big star, and Valens had already had a couple of hits under his belt. The Big Bopper was primarily known for his radio work and was a budding songwriter, who broke through with "Chantilly Lace" and was invited to tour with Holly and Valens.

As far back as I can remember, before I started finding music on my own, the radio in our kitchen was almost always on and tuned into the oldies station. It was my mom's music, which I guess by virtue of association became the music I grew up with too. The oldies are my roots; my gateway into sound. I may consider myself primarily a hip hop and grunge fan, but I can't forget the era that truly got me started and ignited my passion. If Elvis Presley was "The King", and Buddy Holly was getting close to that status in the pioneering days of Rock And Roll, The Big Bopper was an accomplice to greatness by being on the same plane of ill destiny. When we look back on this day, those names become no bigger or smaller than any of the others. Tragedy allows no one the backseat.

I know there have been posts about "what constitutes a One Hit Wonder" and all that, and I'm joining in by saying that if this isn't considered one, it likely should be. Maybe it is and wouldn't have been if their plane landed safely...to me, it's close enough. When I searched The Big Bopper on YouTube, this was the first song that popped up, and it's the one most familiar to me.


"Oh baby that's what I like!"
Lyrics.  

© Copyright 2016 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/872551-Chantilly-Lace