*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/875614-Chapter-28---Defiance
Rated: 13+ · Book · Sci-fi · #1949389
Love to publish someday. Scifi, aliens, fighting arena, edit and rewrite in progress.
#875614 added March 3, 2016 at 11:17am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 28 - Defiance
Bob locked stares against Gen's.  The man walked slowly toward Bob and stood beneath the stage, small Bob towering over him with the sun to his back bringing forth a glow that surrounded the small, gray alien.  The hat had gone, a bald head glistened in the sun's glory bearing a huge shadow on the ground below.  As Gen approached, the shadow covered him entirely.

“These people have suffered long enough.” said Gen.  “Why hold them back?  Why not let them forge their own destinies?”  Bob didn't answer.  “It has taken me three minutes to unite your people in violence.  Did you not think it was dangerous... by bringing me here?”
“Yes.” said Bob.
“Then, why did you do it?” he screamed.

Bob looked down upon Gen's stare.  A stern gaze left the man's throat locked speechless as he tried to open his mouth, but couldn't.  Bob twisted fingers inside Gen's mind, revealing a portrait of times long-gone, a time when Gen was a young lad, barely learning to live.

Young Gen sat on hunched knees in the center of a mirrored dojo, dressed in white.  An older man with a mustache leaned over him with a hand drawn to strike,  Gen sat patiently, head down, tears in his eyes.  Master Gen realized he stood in the corner next to small Bob, watching from across the room.

“Gen'ichi, why do you constantly want to fight?” said the man.  “Everywhere you go, it's fight, fight, fight.  There has to be something I'm not teaching you.”
“Father, it's what I do best.”
“Your best has cost us everything.” he screamed.  “There isn't a school that will accept you.  We move from town to town and for what?  Just so you can play bully?  We have nowhere else to go.”
“I'm no bully.” said little Gen.  “I hate bullies.”
“But, you are a bully.  You've alienated all of your friends and worse, cost me another job.  You obviously like beatings, don't you?”  A hand coiled in the air, ready to strike, then lowered.  “Tell me, what do I do with you, Gen'ichi?”
“Let me fight in the tournaments.”
“You're not ready.  You'll never be ready.”
“I have an edge, Father.”
“There is no such thing.  If you continue to fight, you will die... and... I will be alone.”

His Father stood firm, with one hand to his chin.  Long, jet-black hair hung low and disheveled below narrow shoulders.  He bore the frame of an average-sized man, yet it felt as though a tiger had sprang into the room when he pump words into Gen's head.

“I'm sorry.”
“That's not good enough.  You don't even know what you're fighting for.  You have no friends, and you won't survive in this life without them.  I don't think you like girls either.  It's bad, Gen.”
“I don't like people.”
“You don't like people...  Huh...  You're missing out on life.  This constant fighting has to stop.  I don't know if there's one thing you do like.”
“I like butterflies.” said Gen'ichi.
“And a hard rain.” said Gen at the same time.
“You can't fight anymore.  There's nothing left to fight for... if you don't know what or when to fight.”
“Friends... and family... and country.” said Gen'ichi.
“Yes...  But not for you.  Not yet.  When you learn to behave, I'll think about letting you fight in the tournaments, but, if you get into a fight anywhere else, it's over.  Do you hear me?”
“Yes, Father.” said a teary-eyed Gen'ichi.
“I have something to show you.” he said, standing to walk over to a mural above a mirror.  “This is my sword.”  He picked up a sheath in both hands and pulled it from the centered wall-shelf.  “It's been in our family for generations.  We lost it several times, but it always seems to find its way home.  Someday, if you hold on tight, it will bring you home as well.”

He unsheathed the sword only a few inches.  A bright, glinting sheen blazed until he re-sheathed and carried the sword to Gen'ichi.  The boy stood for his Father to show him.  His hands held open, eyes down.  A red-leather sheath intertwined in gold rope intrigued the boy, but his Father wouldn't show him the blade.

“If you ever find something worth fighting for, I want you to have this.  But, until the time is right, I want you to make me a promise.  Promise me, you'll never harm a human soul with this sword.”
“I Promise.”
“I'll keep it safe for you and, I'll let you know when you are ready.”

Gen stood before Bob.  The sword slept horizontally in both hands.  With eyes still down, he glimpsed the room through one eye, seeing Bob's reflection coming from every mirror, standing before a young Gen'ichi and now, himself.  He knew.  It had been only a matter of time for his memories to come full circle.  Bob grew into a venerable, old man before Gen.  He stood tall, and held the same sword Gen held between elbows.

“You still do not know.” said the old man.  “I doubt you will ever know.  But, you may have been right in trying.  You will surely die... and... I will be alone.”
“I know.” said a sobbing Gen.
“The only other gift I give to you is piece of mind.  They cannot harm you in here.”  He pointed to his fore-head.  “If they try, they will find me there, waiting.  The things I've taught you will keep you safe.  You need only listen.”

As Gen took the sword from his Father's hands, the old man transformed into a glowing sphere and shrank until absorbing into Gen's open hands.  Small Bob remained, standing where his Father had been, though he now stood on the stage above Gen.  The sun peeked its embers from behind Bob, causing color to return to Gen's face.  The sheathed sword swung from his shoulder, held taut by a leather strap.

“One more thing.” said Gen.  “There is always a traitor.  A spy.  There he is.”

As Auria and the others walked toward the stage, Gen pointed.  She moved out of the way, and so did Sot, and Gen's clone, 238.  All that stood between Gen's pointing finger and the traitor was an astonished Aelion, who turned, slowly transformed into a growling, four-legged creature and ran.

“He can block your scans because he's telepathic.” said Gen.  “And, he can change into anyone he chooses.  Who else would be a perfect spy?”
“I've got him.” yelled Sot.
“Wait for me.” said Auria, running after the springing beast.  “Wait for me.  I'll get you, you little booger.  Got you, now.”

Loof grunted and growled, wrestling with his red-haired playmate.  Gen laid on his back in the grass just outside the terrarium.  Auria walked toward Gen after playing with Loof in the yard and laid down beside him, both basking in the sun.  Loof curled around her neck and snoozed.  The girl rolled over and placed an arm across Gen's chest.  Moments later, a startled Gen woke up, feeling an arm pressed loosely against him.  He moved to push it away and stopped himself.  He rested wide awake and tried to remember his dream, if it had been real or imaginary.  When the rest of the crew exited the terrarium, he gently shook Auria.  They followed Aelion down the path to their new homes.
© Copyright 2016 RodneyGray (UN: rodneygray at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
RodneyGray has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/875614-Chapter-28---Defiance