*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/880508-The-Real-Cost-of-Doing-Street-Drugs
Rated: 13+ · Book · Nonsense · #2050715
Thoughts and takes on the way life presents....
#880508 added April 26, 2016 at 8:57pm
Restrictions: None
The Real Cost of Doing Street Drugs
I attended the funeral of my friend Richard today. It was so sad. Richard found out he had liver problems two years ago. I guess it was not enough of an incentive to quit drinking and quit smoking. He found out he had liver cancer a month ago. And we gave him his send off today. I don't know if a month is enough time to get your affairs in order, I just know he did not take the time given to do that which should have been done. And his disconnect with family showed when only about 20 people showed up for the service and not one of the speakers was a family member.

Let me tell you about Richard. Richard was once a brilliant lawyer in Florida. For whatever reason, he decided that it would be a good idea to experiment with the drug of the day. At that time it was LSD. He managed to survive his last episode, but it left him with permanent tremors in the hands, increased desire for cigarettes and hard liquor, and severe forgetfulness. His career as a lawyer was soundly defeated. Street drugs took his home, his family, and his job. He was a trust fund baby, so he was not completely destitute. But in the end, his inability to control his habits, his alcoholism, his smoking, or his temper left him with just a handful of people who were willing to give him a send off.

At the funeral, only his long term friend stepped up to lead the service,because the family would not even hire a rabbi or clergy to conduct the memorial service. Jan, his long term special friend, told everyone that it felt like her heart was torn out. And she could not even step in front of anyone and say that out loud. I could only sit there and shake my head in sadness.

From this one service I learned that the people in your life are more important than the money you lust after or the things you covet. Knock it off. It's not worth losing even one of those people in your life. Make amends, speak the words, and live. No one knows when they are scheduled to exit Planet Earth, so make sure that you are right with God. It matters that much.



© Copyright 2016 Cheri Annemos (UN: cheri55422 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Cheri Annemos has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/880508-The-Real-Cost-of-Doing-Street-Drugs